please reassure me (clipless pedals)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
D

DLB

Maz said:
How long have you been riding clipless? You don't say.
Anticipation is key, I think.

about 6 weeks. Going out tonight so i will give some of your ideas a try.

Yeh, anticipation s the key. It when i'm surprised that the problems occur. I guess i'll just have to practice and concentrate.

Thanks again for the help

OP
OP
D

DLB

....and i think i'll unclip much closer to the junctions.

Bodhbh

Guru
Yeah I'm in the same boat, just trying to get the hang of the bloody things :blush:.

Apart from the unclipping, I'm also finding it's affecting my handling as knowing I can't just put my foot down seems to throw me a bit at times.

A few weeks back I noticed my front tire was flat while taking the corner on a gravelly path. It wouldn't normally have been a problem. However, instead of just hopping off the pedals and bringign the bike to a safe stop, been clipped in caused a brain fart, I slammed the front brake and went over the handlebars. Oh well, at least no one saw it.

Can't say I enjoying riding as much been clipped in atm - flying aside - so alternate each run with it and avoid it altogether in traffic. Guess it just comes in time.

You'll get to the point where clipping in and out of them will become second nature and you'll stop even thinking about it. Eventually you'll feel sketchy and unsafe without them.

OP
OP
D

DLB

Bodhbh said:
....I slammed the front brake and went over the handlebars. Oh well, at least no one saw it.

Not managed to do that yet but there's time. Didn't manage a ride tonight but might go and practice lent against a wall for a few hours ;)

Slim

Über Member
Just in case you haven't already....

...check out the multi-way release cleats (SH56 I think). As the name suggests, these release in different directions rather than just by kicking your heel out. I've had them release when I lifted my foot quickly in an emergency (in the middle of traffic).

HTH

Nick1979

+1 for multi-release cleats (yep, SH56).
They are very easy to get out without having to think about twisting the ankle. I've got them on my commuting shoes and like them for riding in adverse conditions (like Central London!).
They are compatible with all SPD pedals so you just have to buy a pair of cleats (£6 or something...).

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Shimano_SPD_MTB_Cleats/4000000886/

I've got the multi release. I'm doing it wrong or imo they make little difference. I used to trackstand before I got SPDs which is perhaps why I haven't had too many problems at low speeds.

D

Deleted member 1258

Is it just confidence and practice with clipless or is there a trick to it? I ask because I had clipless on my best bike for six months last year and could'ent get on with them, eventually I was happy to go back to toeclips.

Night Train

Maker of Things
I recently went clipless. I have the pedals set at a fairly loose setting and I practiced on the cycle trainer one evening just jumping on and off without thinking until I wasn't getting stuck. The first time I couldn't get off at all as I forgot to adjust the pedals and had to unlace to the shoes to off the bike.

I had a clipless moment doing an emergency stop and ended up on my front wheel and at the last moment still managed to unclip and land safely. Though it was scary it was also a confidence booster. I found that in a panic I threw my legs outwards and they unclipped. I have no worries now and I have also begun to judge road conditions differently deciding if and when I might need to react and unclip as a precaution or if I can stay clipped in for a while longer.

I think it is a lot of practice and building up confidence.

MattLiverpool

I've recently taken up cycling again and went clipless right from the start so that I had no choice but to get used to them. I'm really happy with them now but I agree with the last post:

I also, when practicing clipping in and out whilst stationary leaning against a wall, had a bit of a moment when I was moving away from the wall with my feet still clipped in. Whatever I did with my leg in the ensuing panic seemed to unclip things perfectly and I think that the incident, rightly or wrongly, gave me all the confidence that I needed to be more positive with them.

I can't imagine not using clipless now.

Get agressive with your pedals

peanut

I think the problem is that you are thinking about the unclipping too much . Just like when you first drive a car and everything is new ,you have to `think' about the gear changing and even look at the gear lever sometimes. Later it becomes second nature.
The action is to throw or twist the heel outwards with a very quick snapping motion like you are swatting a fly with your ankle . Lean up against a garden wall and practice it until you are confident that you have got the unclipping motion `down to a T'
If you use sufficient force and speed you'll unclip safely every time. Later you can reduce the force gradually as you develop confidence.

Another important thing to do is to decide which side you will unclip on and then make sure that the bike falls on that side

Part of the issue seems to be one of balance also. Try cycling up to a junction with both both feet unclipped but don't put your feet down. Try to balance as long as you can without putting a foot down. This is an important skill to learn. It will give you the confidence to be able to do an unexpected emergency stop yet have the confidence to know you can balance for a second or two whilst you safely unclip. Watch motorcyclist's at the traffic lights

Bodhbh

Guru
peanuts said:
Part of the issue seems to be one of balance also. Try cycling up to a junction with both both feet unclipped but don't put your feet down. Try to balance as long as you can without putting a foot down. This is an important skill to learn. It will give you the confidence to be able to do an unexpected emergency stop yet have the confidence to know you can balance for a second or two whilst you safely unclip. Watch motorcyclist's at the traffic lights
Ah good tip on balance I'll practice this. Problem for me I think is still getting used to general bike handling again anyhow, so it throws in another variable.

I know it's something worth learning. Coming off or nearly coming the pedals has caused plenty of iffy moments itself. I got a pair of nylon soled walking shoes I tend to bike in atm. In the wet they very slippy on the pedals and metal in general.

Top Bottom