Please recommend me some outstanding fiction books for my christmas kindle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I received a kindle Paperwhite from my son for Christmas, I am not sure if I would have purchased one myself but as its a pressie I am keen to give it a go.

Normally I only ever read non fiction books but fancy reading something exceptionally funny or dramatic for a change. The funniest book I have read is Riotous Assembly by Tom Sharpe, that was many years ago and one of the few of that genre that made me laugh out loud.

I read Birdsong on holiday many years ago and found it an exceptional read.

I have plenty of time over Christmas to try broaden my literary horizons, your suggestions are most welcome.

Anything by David Mitchell is outstanding (author not bearded comedian!)

raleighnut

Legendary Member
If you enjoyed Tom Sharpe's 'Riotous Assembly' then check out the 15 or so books he went on to write.
I only started reading them because of the cover art by Paul Sample (creator and cartoonist of 'Ogri' in Bike magazine in the 70s/80s) but every one of Tom Sharpe's books are excellent reading.
also have a look at Ian Rankin's 'Rebus' series of books and also his (sadly now demised) friend Iain Banks or his sci-fi alter ego Iain M Banks.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Clive cussler is a good author, and the jack reacher books are good as well. And amazon have plenty of free books as well. Just choose a genre and see what comes up., some are excellent and even better when they are free.

OP
OP
U

User16390

Three Men in a Boat is very funny. Free too! Have you read Wilt? Tom Sharpe was a very good writer of farce.
I have read two Tom Sharpe books Riotous Assembly and Wilt. Wilt was very good, but RT was outstanding. I will definitely download Three men In A Boat, like you said, its a freebie ^_^

Last edited:

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
The Things They Carried by Tim O Brien. It's a set of short stories by a Vietnam Vet, really well written and not all war stories. Very good book but unlikely to be free. I found Iain Banks very difficult to get in to, sufficiently so that I've never tried any 'M' ones and am a bit intrigued in what people see in them. (Have read The Tower and The Wasp Factory that I can remember).

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
There are loads for 99p at the moment. Just spent £7 on the next few week's reading!

If you're into crime, the whole Jo Nesbo/ Harry Hole series is outstanding. Look no further.

Or Rebus.

Or Stuart McBride/Logan McRae.

3 outstanding crime series.

Top Bottom