plug in Iplayer 'sticks'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

beepbeep

my 2013 very expensive Panasonic TV no longer runs Iplayer...I have been in contact with Panasonic and Iplayer support and they cannot help...They advise that the tv is now out of support, its ''old'' !! and they can't help !!

So.......can anyone recommend one of those plug in / USB sticks so I can watch iplayer?

I dont want to pay for any subscriptions....just need player for catchup etc

many thanks

D

Deleted member 26715

I have the Amazon Firestick, you can get that & not have any subscription although there was an offer for Prime for 12 months for £59.99 which I took out. Not convinced it's worth it though, I also run Kodi on it & before anyone suggests I use it to watch my BOUGHT DVD's which I have cut & store on a NAS box.

I also bought a NowTV stick which had a 1 months sports package for £29.99 as I could watch the last 3 F1 races, however it was so bad I took it back the next day, the buffering was horrendous. It's all over their forum, they are awaiting a software update.

Slioch

Guru
+1 for Amazon Firestick.
Totally subscription free once you've bought it, and does all the BBC/ITV/C4 catch-up channels painlessly.
You can then add on Netflix or Amazon Prime if you're willing to pay a subscription.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
+1 for Fire stick (although I have the Fire TV box which is a bit more pricey). I've tried Android boxes which can be had for ~£30 but lots of them are very slow. Amazon has the advantage of not having to log in to google play store to download apps etc. This makes for a much faster and more stable experience IMHO

midlife

Guru
Any games consoles hanging around the house you can use?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I managed to put an iplayer plugin on my satellite TV box (a ZGemma H9S) which works, although it's slow searching probably because my broadband is.

I don't think I'd spend much money getting iplayer working because recent history suggests that the BBC will drop support arbitrarily.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Another happy Amazon Firestick user here, having had the same issues with our Panasonic "smart" TV. We just use it for catch-up TV on BBC, ITV, Channels 4 & 5 which is free of charge. We have upgraded our broadband from 12MB speeds to 36MB or so though, as once the teenagers fired up their devices, the Firestick would take too long buffering.

D

Deleted member 26715

We have upgraded our broadband from 12MB speeds to 36MB or so though, as once the teenagers fired up their devices, the Firestick would take too long buffering.
Read that twice but do you mean it was buffering at 12mb but okay now on 38Mb?
We have 2 Firesticks, multiple PC's & along with 3 phones all working fine on a supposedly 80Mb which due to distance we only get 36mb

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Read that twice but do you mean it was buffering at 12mb but okay now on 38Mb?
We have 2 Firesticks, multiple PC's & along with 3 phones all working fine on a supposedly 80Mb which due to distance we only get 36mb

Yes. I meant that 12MB download speeds was insufficient for the family. 36Mb all is well - phones, Xbox and Firestick can be on at the same time without excessive buffering.

Top Bottom