plug in Iplayer 'sticks'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

Roku makes the NowTV stick, it's them that appear to have the firmware issue

I didn't know that, thanks. I've had the stick a few years now and it works quite well, choice of films on it isn't brilliant but I tend to use it for catch up TV. My desktop computer is running linux Mint and not all the catchup TV stations work, well not without me getting seriously technical, so the stick works well for me.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Amazon Fire Stick all day long

LonesomeWanderer

Über Member
Yeah, the Now TV thingies are just locked down Rokus, which is probably the cheapest way to get iPlayer. Oddly on my (very) old Now TV box the BBC iPlayer is the only catchup service that's stopped working, All4 and My5 are fine and responsive. The BBC likes to meddle....

The Roku Stick itself is best if you want a service-provider-agnostic solution (supports all the free catchups + Netflix, Amazon, and Google) but if you don't want to subscribe it's probably overkill.

simonali

Guru
Chromecast has recently been replaced. Might find a new old stock one kicking around in a sale somewhere. Failing that, definitely wait until tomorrow when Amazon's Black Friday offers start.

LCpl Boiled Egg

Three word soundbite
Yeah, the Now TV thingies are just locked down Rokus, which is probably the cheapest way to get iPlayer. Oddly on my (very) old Now TV box the BBC iPlayer is the only catchup service that's stopped working, All4 and My5 are fine and responsive. The BBC likes to meddle....

The Roku Stick itself is best if you want a service-provider-agnostic solution (supports all the free catchups + Netflix, Amazon, and Google) but if you don't want to subscribe it's probably overkill.

I can't offer any suggestions, but I do know why it's just stopped in the last day or so. iPlayer now requires you to sign in using a BBC account to view programmes. I've just had to set up a BBC account and connect it to my BT Vision box to catch up on some things. It's a shame that your device doesn't support the new system because it's easy to set up.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
We had a NowTV box for several years, used purely for catchup, but it gradually got slower (as iPlayer got more bloated) until it was practically unusable.

Against my better judgement we splashed out £15 a few weeks ago for the latest NowTV stick, and have had absolutely no problems with it at all.

Strictly speaking it's not a "USB stick" as it plugs into a spare HDMI input on the TV (like its predecessor, although that linked via a cable). It can either be powered by the supplied mains PSU or, more conveniently, from the TV's USB port if that's not in use for anything else.

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
my 2013 very expensive Panasonic TV no longer runs Iplayer...I have been in contact with Panasonic and Iplayer support and they cannot help...They advise that the tv is now out of support, its ''old'' !! and they can't help !!

So.......can anyone recommend one of those plug in / USB sticks so I can watch iplayer?

I dont want to pay for any subscriptions....just need player for catchup etc

many thanks

Have you tried re-setting the Smart Settings - Had this happen with 4OD on our Samsung, and I needed to reset the SMART hub back to 'factory'. Cured the problem, but I had to load up the most common apps I use.

OP
OP
beepbeep

beepbeep

Have you tried re-setting the Smart Settings - Had this happen with 4OD on our Samsung, and I needed to reset the SMART hub back to 'factory'. Cured the problem, but I had to load up the most common apps I use.
Its a well known issue with Panasonic / player......ive had engineers to one tv 5 times to get it sorted ...but I cant be bothered anymore so have decided just to get a ''stick''

simonali

Guru
I, too, have a Panasonic TV of approximately 2013 vintage and that is now a dumb TV having previously been a smart one. I believe Panasonic stop support for TVs more than a couple of years old in the hope that you'll pop out and buy a newer one (they're just a cheap disposable commodity nowadays innit). I may be doing that soon, but I won't be replacing it with the same make!

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
I, too, have a Panasonic TV of approximately 2013 vintage and that is now a dumb TV having previously been a smart one. I believe Panasonic stop support for TVs more than a couple of years old in the hope that you'll pop out and buy a newer one (they're just a cheap disposable commodity nowadays innit). I may be doing that soon, but I won't be replacing it with the same make!

The Samsung are pretty much the same, it really isn't worth buying a smart TV, I had a Roku one but it has disappeared in the move, like a lot of things.

Top Bottom