PM's call to allow cyclists in olympic lanes.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Melonfish

Evil Genius in training.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-18885587

A group of MPs have called for transport chiefs in London to let cyclists use the Olympic Games Lanes.
AND! its a commentable article! nowt yet put on there but you can imagine what will be on there especially with the recent cab protests.

So, london cyclists, do you reckon the use of these lanes will improve your commute?
there's also a call for more people to cycle during the games to ease congestion.
pete

Hawk

Veteran
TfL said cyclists could not use 95% of the lanes because they were outside lanes which cyclists would not use anyway other than to turn right. However, right turns have been banned on the Games Lanes.

What the **** are they on about? Are cyclists not allowed to overtake slow/stopped cars anymore??

Gooner Mad Dog

sorry please explain, cycling along Victoria Embankment last night was caos whilst cabbies were throwing their toys out of their prams etc they were trialling lanes last night , Q are we aloud to use OOO lanes or not?

We are not allowed to use them, but it's alright because TFL thinks all cyclists cycle in the gutter anyway and that there is some magic forcefield that prevents cyclists from using the outside lane unless they are making a right turn.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
this is the Olympics that was going to see 20% of the spectators arrive by bike or on foot. Yeah, right!

martint235

Dog on a bike
While I was still commuting to central London, I was just planning on using the lanes anyway. I don't see how they can stop you.

I also found it laughable that the thinking is once you're on a bike you no longer exist as far as congestion is concerned. I found that other cyclists slowed me down in central London let alone slowing buses and taxis but TfL and LOCOG believe bikes are entirely invisible.

Flyingfox

Apparently no one is 'policing' the lanes anyway as no organization (be it the councils or police) know who is 'responsible' for issuing the £130.00 fines. TFL say there will be no right hand turns where the lanes are in place - I for one will be ignoring that rule if I can't turn up Northumberland Avenue.from Embankment.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Most of the lanes I have seen are on the right hand side of the road. Do I really want to use those? Well actually I do. Baker Street, Gloucester place and Vauxhall Bridge southbound are all sections of road that I regularly cycle in the far most right lane.

The ones that are on the left of the road (or in the bus lanes already there) cyclists will be allowed to use those (as per the sign posts, so check those).

As for the fines, i've heard that police will pull over cyclists that are using the lanes when they shouldn't. they either have the choice to pay the fine or get their bicycle impounded.

There has to be a positive out of this, if these olympic lanes work, then surely we can fit proper cycle lanes in london.

this is the Olympics that was going to see 20% of the spectators arrive by bike or on foot. Yeah, right!
But the zil lanes are for VIP's only - not the spectators
As an aside, are pedestrians allowed to cross them? If so, what about walking your bike across them to turn right...

subaqua

What’s the point
this is the Olympics that was going to see 20% of the spectators arrive by bike to a marshalling yard about 30 minutes walk from any of the venues or on foot. Yeah, right! as they are scared a bomb will be put into a bike

would be a more accurate description

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
I can't understand the signs which say "Olympic lanes open to all traffic". If it is a Bus and Olympic lane and the existing signs say the bus lane is in force at the time, which sign is the one I should take notice of when driving ?

Gooner Mad Dog

Now I understand we arent to use the lanes ( they have police motorbikes ready to pull you , they were trialling on embankment Tues I think ) caos reigned. I think I will cycle on pavement on Victoria embankment its wide enough and safe enough. You listen to BJ's radio adverts about soaking up Olympic atmosphere by commuting by bike or on foot, well I dont want experience breathing in coach fumes whilst hemmed in by frantic taxi drivers etc To be honest as regards embankment they could put a cycle lane down the riverside next to road anyway....

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Now I understand we arent to use the lanes ( they have police motorbikes ready to pull you , they were trialling on embankment Tues I think ) caos reigned. I think I will cycle on pavement on Victoria embankment its wide enough and safe enough. You listen to BJ's radio adverts about soaking up Olympic atmosphere by commuting by bike or on foot, well I dont want experience breathing in coach fumes whilst hemmed in by frantic taxi drivers etc To be honest as regards embankment they could put a cycle lane down the riverside next to road anyway....
Instead of riding on the pavement, why not find an alternative route?

Top Bottom