Pod coffee machines

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Philips Senseo here. It uses pods that are just like tea bags so no stupid packaging. The coffee is fabulous for breakfast but won't deliver a knock-out expresso blast if that is what you are after. After a lifetime of caffeine addiction, it suits me quite well.

brodiej

Veteran
Nespresso as well

Not as good as my old Italian expresso maker but takes about 30 seconds to make a reasonably good coffee.

Although I thought I'd not use it much I never use the proper expresso machine now - the Nespresso is just so handy and there are a lot of different pods to choose from, I've found one I like.

I'd rate the coffee about the same standard as most chain coffee joints but not as good as coffee from beans you've ground yourself.

thom

____
Nespresso
Nespresso are so good they are often used in Michelin starred restaurants (about 30% in a survey I saw, I think in the FT).
By completely controlling the coffee making experience, they make reliably very very good coffee that outperforms in blind taste tests.

OP
OP
P

pauldavid

Veteran
Thanks all for your replies, Nespresso looks like the favourite for the moment then. I shall start looking for a machine at a reasonable price!

PK99

Legendary Member
Nespresso are so good they are often used in Michelin starred restaurants (about 30% in a survey I saw, I think in the FT).
By completely controlling the coffee making experience, they make reliably very very good coffee that outperforms in blind taste tests.

18 of the top 50, including the fat duck

PK99

Legendary Member
Thanks all for your replies, Nespresso looks like the favourite for the moment then. I shall start looking for a machine at a reasonable price!

All the machine innards are made by Nespresso, various manufacturers badge them and put different shaped nozzles or textured panels. Price is pretty much standard.
Latest model in the Nespresso U, it is the best and cheaper than the previous model.

Nothing matches the pleasure of a hob-top espresso pot.

Lovely aroma; lovely coffee; nice, tactile process; takes up little room in cupboard.

Many people I know have these Nespresso (and similar) machines. They take space, there is a limited (ish) range of coffees and there are parts to go wrong.

We have the same espresso pots and cafetieres we've had since before our wedding 20 years ago. In that time, we've replaces a couple of rubber seals.

George Clooney makes it look sophisticated and clever, but you will get bored. After decades, I'm still like a puppy with a stick every time someone makes espresso on the hob.

(As I am in the minority here, I believe I may be wrong - FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER!!!)

Cubist

Still wavin'
grind my own beans and make espresso in an espresso machine. About five minutes for a decent cup of coffee, where I'm in charge of the strength and quality. I also use a stovetop bialetti, different type of coffee altogether, far too easy to overheat it, but it's great in a thermos with hot milk. I have no experience of pod macines, but if you have the time to learn how to make good coffee why wouldn't you?

For a yummy alternative to stovetop or a cafetiere, see my avatar.

Bosnian (Turkish) coffee made very strong and as sweet as you like, with the grounds in the bottom of the cup so you can get your future read.

Could anything be better? Not much.

PaulBrdmn

I find the best way to brew coffee at home (and at work!) is with an Aeropress, costs about £30 which some people think is expensive for "a bit of plastic" but they are worth it in my opinion. I've even used mine at festivals and on camping trips!

albion

Guru
The problem with ground coffee in these capsules is that the quantity of water sets the coffee strength.

Nespresso is a convenient machine supposedly that some restaurants use with refillable pods and their own quality ground coffees.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Stove-top bialetti is my daily standby, but it doesn't make true espresso (complete with crema). I have a DeLonghi machine tucked away for that, but it doesn't get out much. Must say, I don't like the idea of pods, whatever the fat duck thinks - the strength of your brew is dictated by someone else's (doubtless 'normalised') notion. I prefer a bit more control meself. I also suspect you'd be paying quite a premium. But each to their own..and I'm sure the pods are convenient.

Top Bottom