Pod coffee machines

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
We do have a tassimo, which is pricey for pods but theres quite a variety and its not used constantly as I'm the only coffee drinker.
What I do use a lot is a cafetiere mug. Fresh brew in an insulated mug so stays hot for ages - very handy at work. Also works well for loose leaf tea.

dodgy

We have a Senseo but have recently replaced it with a Nespresso machine from Krupps. The Krupps machine is pretty good quality, it also has a milk warmer and whisker attached. IMO it makes coffee that is easily a match for the typical High St coffee chains (yeah yeah I know, you coffee geeks will look down at that). A Nespresso pod comes in at around 29p each, perhaps that sounds expensive, but I think it's good value and we're very happy with it.

We take the Senseo away with us on holiday if we're in the car, it will go to the Alps in July with us, it really is good enough to go through the hassle of packing it :smile:

flissh

[QUOTE 2485541, member: 45"]Don't chain yourself to a particular pod, it just costs too much. Buy an espresso machine -we've got a De Longhi - that takes the teabag shaped ones so you can be lazy with them or make up your own from grinds.[/quote]
Yep, we've got a De Longhi, always use ground coffee, sometimes grind my own beans. Very quick, steams milk well too. Had it about 2 1/2 years and never had a problem with it.
My daughter has a pod type machine (Dolce Gusto)and I prefer the taste from mine.

ayceejay

Guru
"a milk warmer and whisker attached" sounds like my bloody cat.
We have a Nespresso that we use less and less. at 65 cents a pop it is expensive coffee but good if you are in a hurry but that happens less and less too. When our Gaggia gave up the ghost we dug out the old stove top with the little guy stamped in it, best coffee ever assuming best coffee grounds.

I have a senseo machine and yes the original pods are dear but Lidl do some great tasting budget ones at less than 2 quid for 20 pods

U

User482

My mum has a Krups nespresso machine. I thought it was very poor - the espresso was far too weak.

perplexed

Guru
The stove top is by far the best way of doing it.

Somebody at work was enthusing about the machines, and they sound interesting. BUT, he said the capsules of coffee were 'only' £X for a dozen or whatever, and my jaw dropped at how expensive they were. There, my interest in one abruptly ended, unless I can get one which takes loose coffee.:ohmy:

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
I suppose if you're happy to pay £2 + in a coffee shop then 25p for a capsule seems reasonable.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 2486938, member: 45"]It's crazy that people still do when (a) McDonalds do great coffee for around £1.19 and (b) if you have a Waitrose points card you can run in and take out a free coffee every day.[/quote]

McDonald's coffee taste like cigarette ash. Yuk.

My wife uses a Nespresso machine, loves it, thinks more of it then she does of me. Spends a feckin fortune having coffee delivered. Me, I drink Earl Grey tea, 'cos I'm posh. Innit.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 2487473, member: 45"]You think? Is it the brand of coffee bean ground by the machine, the proper, warmed milk, or something else?[/quote]

Dunno, I ask for a coffee, they give me fag ash in brown water. Nasty stuff.

stephec

Legendary Member
McDonalds double espresso for 99p, lovely.

And as a little bonus you can collect the stickers for a free cup.

Of the high street chains though Costa espresso is the one for me.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
After this thread, I bought myself a stove top expresso pot. Flippin marvelous.

Bought a 6 cup one - actually makes enough for two normal cups of coffee. Water in bottom, filter coffee in middle, then about 5 minutes later you have great tasting coffee. Very smooth taste. Love it. Why didn't I try one before ?

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
After this thread, I bought myself a stove top expresso pot. Flippin marvelous.

Bought a 6 cup one - actually makes enough for two normal cups of coffee. Water in bottom, filter coffee in middle, then about 5 minutes later you have great tasting coffee. Very smooth taste. Love it. Why didn't I try one before ?

Just finished one meself. As you say, yum!

Top Bottom