Pod coffee machines

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO
Nothing matches the pleasure of a hob-top espresso pot.

Lovely aroma; lovely coffee; nice, tactile process; takes up little room in cupboard.

Many people I know have these Nespresso (and similar) machines. They take space, there is a limited (ish) range of coffees and there are parts to go wrong.

We have the same espresso pots and cafetieres we've had since before our wedding 20 years ago. In that time, we've replaces a couple of rubber seals.

George Clooney makes it look sophisticated and clever, but you will get bored. After decades, I'm still like a puppy with a stick every time someone makes espresso on the hob.

(As I am in the minority here, I believe I may be wrong - FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER!!!)

You are not wrong.

albion

Guru
It is marketing.

People only know the word 'Nespresso; but the fact is that the are simply standard pressure machines with patented pods. The prime reason for the patents is to sell you their limited coffee.

Personally I do not like Expresso coffee, nor do I drink cappuccino.

Cubist

Still wavin'
My espresso machine us a de Longhi which I was given a couple of years ago. Mrs Cube paid less than fifty quid for it in a sale. It makes absolutely acceptable espresso using Lavazza or Sainsbury Fairtrade espresso beans. Awesome milk frother for a really decent macchiato or latte.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Don't they generate an excess of waste in the number of little pods that get thrown away after use? In a stove-top pot you just dispose of the grounds, and in a filter you have the filter paper & grounds (unless you have a permanent, washable mesh filter basket).

There's also a limit on the type of coffee you can have in one of these machines - with a filter maker you get the choice of any coffee you like & aren't restricted to what's supplied in pods.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Don't they generate an excess of waste in the number of little pods that get thrown away after use?

Yes, unless you find or start a Terracycle Coffee Brigade:
http://www.terracycle.co.uk/en-UK/brigades/the-kenco-eco-refill-brigade-r.html

Find a location near you:
http://batchgeo.com/map/3d41660e7128ff2f8471db8004bce77d

Basically, each brigade location sends refill bags, jar lids, pods etc off to Terracycle, post free, and they give them points which are cashed in for the chosen charity. There's a link to find out if there's a drop off point near you. We've got one at work, with funds going to the charity I work for. We have similar arrangements for Actimel bottles and used pens....

albion

Guru
Collection Locations: 10,814
Money raised: £11,753.68

At £1 per location I wonder how much per man hour.
I'll be looking at for those park benches Arch.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Collection Locations: 10,814
Money raised: £11,753.68

At £1 per location I wonder how much per man hour.
I'll be looking at for those park benches Arch.

Not sure what that number of locations refers to. There are 100 collection points like ours where people can bring stuff. I wonder if that refers to individuals sending in a couple at a time.

I boxed up 200 units just last week to send off, at 2p a unit.

Yes, it's small money, but every little helps. Anyway, we get most of our contributions from the recycling we collect - so we're doing the work anyway. I think we've had £100 or so extra income over the last year.

Anyway, yes, individual pods are pretty wasteful of resources if not recycled, and depending on the type of material they are made from, many processors won't recycle them. If I was into coffee enough, I'd have loose grounds. As it is, instant is good enough at home, and I mostly drink coffee out at somewhere like Nero, or the little van that serves NT's local town centre.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
[QUOTE 2485431, member: 259"]We looked at getting one, but the price of the coffee is silly, and the coffee itself isn't particularly nice.[/quote]

Apart from that though...

Reactions: srw

pplpilot

Guru
My other half bought me a Gaggia a few years ago, 2L water tank, 250g beans tank, grinds, touch screen etc... superb, equally as good as any coffee I've had anywhere. Not cheap and looks the biz.

Cubist

Still wavin'
For a yummy alternative to stovetop or a cafetiere, see my avatar.

Bosnian (Turkish) coffee made very strong and as sweet as you like, with the grounds in the bottom of the cup so you can get your future read.

Could anything be better? Not much.

OK then, what's the secret? I enjoyed Turkish coffee, but boy does it need sugar!

I would not have any pod type at all-
1. Stitched up with overpriced coffee and having to buy their own branded product.
2. Mountains of pointless waste packaging coffee into tiny units.
3. Another gadget taking up worktop space and cluttering the kitchen.

Quite happy with a cafetiere and a spoon.

PK99

Legendary Member
Stove-top bialetti is my daily standby, but it doesn't make true espresso (complete with crema). I have a DeLonghi machine tucked away for that, but it doesn't get out much. Must say, I don't like the idea of pods, whatever the fat duck thinks - the strength of your brew is dictated by someone else's (doubtless 'normalised') notion. I prefer a bit more control meself. I also suspect you'd be paying quite a premium. But each to their own..and I'm sure the pods are convenient.

Nespresso U has a programmable quantity of water

Top Bottom