Podium Girls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
IIRC, they had podium men at the Tour of Oman.

thom

____
Are they an anachronism? Are they needed? Discuss....
(Not that I ever got kissed by podium girls very much, so no vested interest:sad:).
I'm not sure what there is to discuss really. What is the relevance of a couple of women posing for photos as if kissing the winner of a bike race ? It is a problem for cycling that it relies on such sexist representation to promote it. Wasn't the race in itself interesting enough ?

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Any of you guys that approve of podium girls have daughters?

If so, are you happy for her/them to be fed the message that women's main importance is to look pretty/sexy (delete according to their age), while it is the men that actually do things?

Someone said the women (note women, not girls) are old enough to make their own decisions, but how many of their decisions were based on the mindset that women are valued because of their looks?

Buddfox

Veteran
Any of you guys that approve of podium girls have daughters?

If so, are you happy for her/them to be fed the message that women's main importance is to look pretty/sexy (delete according to their age), while it is the men that actually do things?

Someone said the women (note women, not girls) are old enough to make their own decisions, but how many of their decisions were based on the mindset that women are valued because of their looks?

I think this gets to the heart of the matter. Rather than just being a simple question of whether podium girls are an anachronism, it's the distribution of female role models in society between different professions. If we saw the equivalent number of examples of women being successful in all walks of life - be it business, the law, medicine or indeed women's cycling - then it becomes less of an issue. Problem is too many young women still grow up thinking being pretty is the limit of what they can achieve.

raindog

er.....
That was me who said that, and I would think their decision would be based on having a job and earning a living. Why would it be about anything else? And if the women happen to be attractive, so what? Is that a crime on their part?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom