Podium Girls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
No. Their relevance to cycling is that [podium girls] are (in general) highly competent racing cyclists - as good as the people they're simpering at - who are relegated to a position as dolly-birds because there isn't the money in professional cycling for women as there is in professional cycling for men.
Though it's a little clouded by reference to pro-cyclists, oldroadman's post #329 suggests that this may not be the case. Even if it were, I've never heard podium girls' names or palmarès get a mention - they are there as adornments not as cyclists. I only know the name Maja Leye from the press coverage that followed Sagan's antics.

U

User169

You don't need to rehash any more I understand your view. It's that I don't agree (yet)with the detracting from the sport bit.
I can't say that I remember any of the podium girls or flower-presenters of most kinds of events, podium girls/guys/dignitaries/goats whatever don't impact my view of women and their achievements in sport.

Put it this way. I suspect more people will know the name of the podium girl groped by Sagan than the winner of the women's RVV. I doubt many were even aware that there is a women's race.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
There appear to be three strands to this debate:
1) are the podium girls themselves exploited - the consensus appears to be 'no'
2) the effect that podium girls have on women's cycling - no conclusion as yet
3) the effect that podium girls (and other uses of women as eye candy) have on women at large.

For 3), for any of you who have not read through the whole thread, Ebonywillow's post many pages back is worth repeating here:
I get where you are coming from Spinney. Having suffered in the past with low self esteem it has taken me a long time to accept I will never look like the stereotype podium girl and finally be happy in my own skin. Images like this used to really rankle me, now however I am indifferent personally but do worry about the effect images like those have on young girls. I work in a primary school and to hear girls as young as 7 worry about whether they are pretty, thin and even trying to act 'sexy' is gut wrenching. I try very hard to encourage an attitude of healthiness over beauty but when you are up against the images we see everywhere and the comments that are made about them, you have to wonder if you're banging your head on a brick wall!!!

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
OK, so that's something I didn't know.
So why isn't there the money in Women's cycling?
I am now struggling to find the article where I read about the fact that many of the young women who present prizes are themselves cyclists.

There isn't money in women's cycling because professional cycling is stuck in the 1950s - as the use of dolly birds to present prizes proves.

thom

____
I am now struggling to find the article where I read about the fact that many of the young women who present prizes are themselves cyclists.

There isn't money in women's cycling because professional cycling is stuck in the 1950s - as the use of dolly birds to present prizes proves.
Maja Leye works for the RVV organisation itself, which may be part of the reason Sagan didn't get smacked.

2) the effect that podium girls have on women's cycling - no conclusion as yet
Matt Seaton references this idea amongst others in his blog on the Sagan RVV affair.

Put it this way. I suspect more people will know the name of the podium girl groped by Sagan than the winner of the women's RVV.
Indeed - Marianne Vos took what surprisingly was her first RVV title.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
There is no money in womens' cycling because the promoters and advertisers make the assumption that not enough people will watch it to make it viable.
They are right to an extent. There have been many threads in the Pro Race section about women's cycling in general and particular races which very, very few people post on. A large number of those posting on the podium girl thread have little or no interest in it if you use that as an arbitrary judgment.
How many of you can name the women's world road race champion for the last 3 years? Where is Emma Trott plying her trade nowadays? Is Emma Pooley still on the circuit? Does Marianne Vos ride any other disciplines other than track and road?
It's not a criticism, by the way, but shows how little interest even cyclists pay to women's cycling. Some is due to the lack of coverage in the wider media but the information is out there if you really care.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
You mean this Victoria Pendleton?
View attachment 21998

I'd lend her one.

What? I'm quarter Jew, what can I say!

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
They are right to an extent. There have been many threads in the Pro Race section about women's cycling in general and particular races which very, very few people post on. A large number of those posting on the podium girl thread have little or no interest in it if you use that as an arbitrary judgment.

I have tried several times to get discussion going both on women's racing and on the reasons why it isn't taken seriously by the UCI and many fans. There's no intrinsic reason why this should be so - for example, women's tennis is more popular than men's and in some parts of the world, women's football is as or more popular than the men's version. And I don't believe that women's cycling has to be less popular - when women's racing is given coverage as in the Olympic road race, for example, just as many people watched it, and saw some top quality racing that in this case, outstripped the men's race for excitement at least. Given this kind of example, it comes down to commitment and invesment from the UCI to make women's cycling visible, to support it and make it seem like they care. And symbolic moves, like getting rid of podium girls, would be one small step in saying that they are committed to equity in cycling and taking women seriously as athletes.

U

User482

I have tried several times to get discussion going both on women's racing and on the reasons why it isn't taken seriously by the UCI and many fans. There's no intrinsic reason why this should be so - for example, women's tennis is more popular than men's and in some parts of the world, women's football is as or more popular than the men's version. And I don't believe that women's cycling has to be less popular - when women's racing is given coverage as in the Olympic road race, for example, just as many people watched it, and saw some top quality racing that in this case, outstripped the men's race for excitement at least. Given this kind of example, it comes down to commitment and invesment from the UCI to make women's cycling visible, to support it and make it seem like they care. And symbolic moves, like getting rid of podium girls, would be one small step in saying that they are committed to equity in cycling and taking women seriously as athletes.

In the UK at least, the top women track cyclists are household names, so as you say, there's no intrinsic reason why the same shouldn't also be true on the road. Were podium girls ever used in presentations for the track?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom