Podsacs front fork bags and mounts?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
These

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/BAPOD...272610453&mc_cid=e2db04b7ed&mc_eid=ca25066a2c

Anyone had any experience of them?

Was contemplating using them for some mini tours when fitting full front panniers might be overkill and front panniers make manoevering the bike, getting on and off trains trickier.

My questions.

How secure?
Is it a fag fitting them? have the idea that you have to fit then snap off a load of zip ties every time you want to use the mounts so may be little less fag than fitting a front pannier rack.

Is the capacity just too small to make it wothwhile bothering?

I have had generally excellent experiences with Podsacs stuff.

mythste

Veteran
These

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/BAPOD...272610453&mc_cid=e2db04b7ed&mc_eid=ca25066a2c

Anyone had any experience of them?

Was contemplating using them for some mini tours when fitting full front panniers might be overkill and front panniers make manoevering the bike, getting on and off trains trickier.

My questions.

How secure?
Is it a fag fitting them? have the idea that you have to fit then snap off a load of zip ties every time you want to use the mounts so may be little less fag than fitting a front pannier rack.

Is the capacity just too small to make it wothwhile bothering?

I have had generally excellent experiences with Podsacs stuff.

Having faced a similar conundrum, I ended up buying some second hand Blackburn "anything" cages for bike packing and using dry bags I already had knocking about (8 litre)

Do you have any bosses already on your fork? I had 1, and zip-tied the bottom to keep them stable (With some inner tube wrapped around the fork to protect it). I would be concerned using two zip-tie style clamps if there is any taper on the fork in case it was to slide in use.

To answer your question, is it worth it? I think so. I use one for a sleeping bag and one for a sleeping mat and sleeping clothes. Low weight, high bulk items.

Worth the faff in my experience.

i have two and used them on really rough terrain on the Ridgeway, no problems at all, the bags are pretty bombproof too. as @mythste says, low weight bulky items, my British Army Basha, sleeping mat, gas canister for the equally impressive X2 cooking stove thing from PX, some food etc.

my forks have one fixing on each so used cable tie for the other. obviously worth checking them every now and then but i would recommend them without hesitation. the only niggle may be the size of the plastic cage they supply, its big but its also pretty bombproof. circumference wise they are big enough that you could probably carry a fat evian bottle on them (if that comparison helps at all)

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Having faced a similar conundrum, I ended up buying some second hand Blackburn "anything" cages for bike packing and using dry bags I already had knocking about (8 litre)

Do you have any bosses already on your fork? I had 1, and zip-tied the bottom to keep them stable (With some inner tube wrapped around the fork to protect it). I would be concerned using two zip-tie style clamps if there is any taper on the fork in case it was to slide in use.

To answer your question, is it worth it? I think so. I use one for a sleeping bag and one for a sleeping mat and sleeping clothes. Low weight, high bulk items.
thanks for the reply and caution. Some of my bikes don't have bosses but I do have a set of those tubus clamps* which I use on the ones that don't when fitting front panniers.
* these
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/carriers-racks/tubus-lmi-mounting-set-for-forks-without-eyelets/

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Worth the faff in my experience.

i have two and used them on really rough terrain on the Ridgeway, no problems at all, the bags are pretty bombproof too. as @mythste says, low weight bulky items, my British Army Basha, sleeping mat, gas canister for the equally impressive X2 cooking stove thing from PX, some food etc.

my forks have one fixing on each so used cable tie for the other. obviously worth checking them every now and then but i would recommend them without hesitation. the only niggle may be the size of the plastic cage they supply, its big but its also pretty bombproof. circumference wise they are big enough that you could probably carry a fat evian bottle on them (if that comparison helps at all)
thanks for the practical experience - with regard to the niggle, you mean the cage is too big or too small?
I must say I do like the fact that it is plastic, not metal.
Is it some sort of nylon reinforced plastic?

OP
OP
Blue Hills
actually another question, particularly for @uphillstruggler as he has used them.
How is the sack secured in the cage?
I have a natural wariness of straps working loose and going anywhere near a front wheel - have had this happen with a back wheel but less of an issue there.

thanks for the practical experience - with regard to the niggle, you mean the cage is too big or too small?
I must say I do like the fact that it is plastic, not metal.
Is it some sort of nylon reinforced plastic?

plastic and it’s quite big, the images on PX website show it

The dry bags have two straps, I had no issues in 200 miles of bridleways

Top Bottom