Podsacs small saddlepack - good? bargain?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This:

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CCPDWSB/podsacs-waterproof-saddle-pack

In current Planet X offer at £20.

I'm hardly likely to get into big time bike packing but it might be handy for short 2 to day trips on one of my faster bikes - with its minimalist rack, small 13 litre drybag on top and two small panniers.

I have bought Podsac stuff bag things before from Planet X and am well pleased with them - far more practical for my cycling and camping trips than posher looking packing cubes from Eagle Creek and Muji etc.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
For twenty sovs you can’t really go wrong.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Thanks for the reply cycleops but I disagree. I will be cycling with the thing, possibly over large distances, hoping it will keep my stuff together without hindering my much admired cycling style and rhythm. Not looking for a wardrobe full of 20 sov stuff I couldn't go wrong with.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Edit

One thing that concerns me about that thing is the description that says it is tarpaulin waterproof lined. Sounds a tad heath robinson. Surely just a single, but waterproof skin that works is fine?

gaijintendo

Veteran
I might be tempted to experiment if I needed to make up an order for shipping (makes it an imaginary £16 expense) but it might make sense to spend big, and get what the crowd have judged to be good, and get a long time companion.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
I have a similar eBay one, but 12L size. 9L would be too small for me and the 11L is £50.
Which is that milkfloat? I have memories maybe of a thread on that. Would you recommend it?

I stress that this won't be used for major expeditions, have stuff for that, but for long weekends away, maybe one of my barmy pedals back to london from a random station.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Edit

One thing that concerns me about that thing is the description that says it is tarpaulin waterproof lined. Sounds a tad heath robinson. Surely just a single, but waterproof skin that works is fine?
FWIW, that's similar to Timbuk2 messengers, iirc - cloth over a waterproof, heavy duty liner. (Or at least, that's how mine is constructed).

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Which is that milkfloat? I have memories maybe of a thread on that. Would you recommend it?

I stress that this won't be used for major expeditions, have stuff for that, but for long weekends away, maybe one of my barmy pedals back to london from a random station.

Mine is very similar to this - just a slightly different print of logo.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROSWHEEL...eat-Pack-Tail-Storage-Waterproof/222704566514

They first came up at: https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/found-a-bargain-do-tell.16260/post-4822617

I actually lied - mine in 10L not 12L.

Review - it is no Ortlieb, but so far for the bikepacking I have done it has been fine. I would not go around the world with one, but it has certainly been able to take my tent, sleeping mat and sundries out for a bit of adventure.

20170724_192638733_ios-jpg.jpg

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Edit

I'd pay the extra quid and get https://www.alpkit.com/products/airlok-xtra-tapered and use a few extra straps to stop it moving. I've still got a patched-up ordinary Airlok Xtra that I use for many iffy-weather day trips, although as a rack-top bag more than a seat pack. When it's finally time to replace it, I may go tapered to make it fit under the seats on more bikes.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Not sure about that to be honest mjr.

It's just a dry bag really isn't it?

I already have an ortlieb 13 litre drybag made from their traditional non lightweight material. It"s brilliant, can be packed when not being used and brought out to be lashed to the rack when needed. May get another one.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Well yes, but the podsac isn't even a dry bag, is it? Also, I'm astonished that PX dare claim it's "built to last" and then two sentences later advise applying tape everywhere to stop abrasion damage! :thumbsdown:

I've had some good stuff from PX in the past but I wouldn't buy that. It looks plasticky with useless bungees on it.

Top Bottom