Pointless & impractical vehicles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
I'm not a fan of B*W, but that was a great engine in the F1

I went to friend/work-collegue/damned fine MTB-XC racer at the end of last month, & one of the other mourners, who Nic (the deceased) had kept in touch with... who I also know (but had lost touch with) works for McLaren
He's driven a F1, & seems to think it's their best

I think I may have too?

I still have a cut-away drawing/print in a frame (about 24" x 12")

View attachment 534604

This booklet??
https://issuu.com/themagazineshop/docs/mclaren_f1
Yep, March 1994 (found my copy!).

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I'm not a fan of B*W, but that was a great engine in the F1

I went to friend/work-collegue/damned fine MTB-XC racer at the end of last month, & one of the other mourners, who Nic (the deceased) had kept in touch with... who I also know (but had lost touch with) works for McLaren
He's driven a F1, & seems to think it's their best

I think I may have too?

I still have a cut-away drawing/print in a frame (about 24" x 12")

View attachment 534604

This booklet??
https://issuu.com/themagazineshop/docs/mclaren_f1
Only a booklet - you need a complete book on the car instead :laugh:
IMG_20200707_230439478.jpg

£30 when I purchased it back in '99 or '00!

Chris S

Legendary Member
You also gassed yourself when the heat exchangers rotted.

The only reason beetles were in production for so long was that VW had to pay Tatra compensation for plagarizing one of their designs and they didn't have any money to develop new models. Some people have even suggested that one of the reasons that Hitler invaded Czechosolvakia was to stop the lawsuit. If they were right then the beetle helped start WWII.

MntnMan62

Über Member
Why bother with customised vehicles when BMW do the X6 (pointless) with low profile tyres (impractical)
View attachment 528788

I agree. This thing is essentially useless as an SUV. I loved the review of it by the Top Gear guys. Watching it slide around and not get anywhere in the snow was just painfull to watch.

https://www.topgear.com/videos/top-gear-tv/jeremy-clarkson-drives-bmw-x6-part-12-series-14-episode-7

https://www.topgear.com/videos/top-gear-tv/jeremy-clarkson-drives-bmw-x6-part-22-series-14-episode-7

Last edited:

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
You also gassed yourself when the heat exchangers rotted.

The only reason beetles were in production for so long was that VW had to pay Tatra compensation for plagarizing one of their designs and they didn't have any money to develop new models. Some people have even suggested that one of the reasons that Hitler invaded Czechosolvakia was to stop the lawsuit. If they were right then the beetle helped start WWII.
At least the rear seat came out easily to wash when someone was sick on the way home.

Car designers have always pinched each other's ideas... there's only so many ways to stack boxes on wheels at each corner. :smile:
Beetles were successful, despite Hitler, because they were affordable, reliable and easy to maintain.

There's a retro design company that builds an electric Beetle, built on a space frame, that looks fantastic... if only I had a spare 50,000.

Chris S

Legendary Member
Taking out the rear seat was the only way you could get a decent amount of luggage space. Despite the huge bonnet at the front there was only really enough space for a suitcase under it. The inside was deceptively cramped as well. It was like an inverse Tardis.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
True, but when you only need space for one other person that's OK... it's surprising how much you can pack into one if you really try!

MarkF

Guru
I saw a car outside Apperley Bridge Sainsburys today, it was so big & ugly that I laughed at loud, big, brash and utterly horrible, it reminded me of a pic I can't quite remember of a bloke who had attached a Rolls Royce grille to an Allegro or Wartburg or summat in the 1970's. Or one of those supercar replicas that Indian kids make out of dustbin lids. Going on for £300k and I would not be seen dead in one, how pointless is this?

Rolls-Royce_Cullinan_in_Arctic_White%2C_front_left.jpg

I saw a car outside Apperley Bridge Sainsburys today, it was so big & ugly that I laughed at loud, big, brash and utterly horrible, it reminded me of a pic I can't quite remember of a bloke who had attached a Rolls Royce grille to an Allegro or Wartburg or summat in the 1970's. Or one of those supercar replicas that Indian kids make out of dustbin lids. Going on for £300k and I would not be seen dead in one, how pointless is this?

View attachment 537050

One of these monstrosities passed us on the M1last weekend, between Dodworth (jct 37) & Haigh (jct 38)
Godawful looking thingxx(

it also sort of depends on which country (or state in the US) the vehicle intends to be used in. For example I've seen some hot rods that would probably not pass an MOT over here due to lack of visibility, no bumpers, pointy body work etc:
View attachment 528833

So for over here I think they'd be useless, but if you can get an MOT where you live then I expect they'd be quite fun and you can put shopping in the back seats

Steve Darnell & his team produce some mighty fine machines
Some are even practical, like the 'Wagon-Rod' ('57 Chevrolet), or the 'Water-Rod' (31 Dodge pick-up)
https://welderup.com/pages/builds

Seen on UK television as 'Sin City Motors'
Earlier episodes had 'the apprentice':wub:
(I'll let you find her yourselves)

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Can I nominate the humble Austin Allegro as a pointless vehicle?

Vanden_Plas_1500_1709_rear.gif

Not only did they completely fail to enter the growing hatchback market by giving the Allegro a normal boot on its hatchback body shape, but their attempt at giving it some 'middle class' styling of the Vanden Plas model was equally baffling.

8992443.jpg

:wacko:

Last edited:
OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Can I nominate the humble Austin Allegro as a pointless vehicle?

View attachment 546811

Not only did they completely fail to enter the growing 'hatchback' market by giving the Allegro a normal boot on it's hatchback body shape, but their attempt at giving it some 'middle class' styling with the Vanden Plas was equally baffling.

View attachment 546812

:wacko:
Wasn't this the car that was more aerodynamic in reverse than driving forwards?

Top Bottom