Pointless & impractical vehicles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...

sheddy

Legendary Member
Any Bummer or Bumvee used in the UK

BianchiVirgin

Über Member
Can I nominate the humble Austin Allegro as a pointless vehicle?

View attachment 546811

Not only did they completely fail to enter the growing hatchback market by giving the Allegro a normal boot on its hatchback body shape, but their attempt at giving it some 'middle class' styling of the Vanden Plas model was equally baffling.

View attachment 546812

:wacko:
And a complete and utter pile of crap into the bargain.

icowden

Veteran
I guess thar if a car is so unreliable it is of little utility as an actual car, then it becomes pointless and impractical.
I didn't think it was humanly possible to build cars as unreliable as Land Rovers, but Elon Musk's crew have shown what hard work and dillgence can achieve...
I think you have to be a bit careful here. For such an "unreliable" brand, it does seem to be incredibly popular in terms of customer satisfaction. Remember that "reliability" comes in many different forms. For Tesla the "unreliability" tends to be in minor defects and trim issues (although there have been some recalls). They tend not to break down or be unable to start however, so in that sense they are no-where near as unreliable as it might seem from the reports.

Here's my nomination:-
Mercedes AMG G Series
View attachment 628005
Starts at £163,000. Driven by people with more money than sense who will never actually take it off road (or anywhere other than school and the shops).
I still like the original G-Wagon

Vinyl seats, steel-wheels, big under-stressed diesel

Just like this one that I saw in Malta (in Oct 2018)
Barring the LHD, of course

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Here's my nomination:-
Mercedes AMG G Series
View attachment 628005
Starts at £163,000. Driven by people with more money than sense who will never actually take it off road (or anywhere other than school and the shops).
Well some folk like them and they sell quite a few and it’s increasing :whistle: . My boys like them . Marmite I suppose but considering every other car these days all look similar this is way out on it’s own !

icowden

Veteran
Well some folk like them and they sell quite a few and it’s increasing :whistle: . My boys like them . Marmite I suppose but considering every other car these days all look similar this is way out on it’s own !
That's undeniable. However, the thread is about pointless and impractical. If you are buying one to do the school run and visit the shops, they fulfil both criteria. If you are buying one to go off road, are you *really* going to go off roading in something that just cost you as much as a small flat?

Thus - pointless and impractial.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
That's undeniable. However, the thread is about pointless and impractical. If you are buying one to do the school run and visit the shops, they fulfil both criteria. If you are buying one to go off road, are you *really* going to go off roading in something that just cost you as much as a small flat?

Thus - pointless and impractial.

Just because it’s expensive doesn’t make it impractical or pointless :whistle: . I’ve seen far better examples in this thread already of pointless and impractical.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I think you have to be a bit careful here. For such an "unreliable" brand, it does seem to be incredibly popular in terms of customer satisfaction. Remember that "reliability" comes in many different forms. For Tesla the "unreliability" tends to be in minor defects and trim issues (although there have been some recalls). They tend not to break down or be unable to start however, so in that sense they are no-where near as unreliable as it might seem from the reports.

There is an argument that says once a consumer has bought a product, they're more likely to be prejudiced in their satisfaction rating. That is, they've gone through the pros/cons prior to purchase so are less likely to speak negatively about it afterwards.

At the moment Tesla benefit from the halo effect of Elon Musk, Spacex and their tech (which are ahead of the other big manufacturers).

As a brand the are deemed 'cool' in the way Apple products are. In many cases Apple products lag their peers and yet, people are prepared to pay a huge premium to wear the badge.

Over time the halo effect will wear off and other companies will catch up on tech. Then, expect consumers to be less forgiving.

Top Bottom