Oil thread (vehicles)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

figbat

Slippery scientist
As promised in this thread, here’s a new thread to discuss, debate and debunk some of the known ‘truths’ and myths regarding lubricating oils. This first post is likely to be quite long, so bear with me. Hopefully what will follow will be a discussion, questions, suggestions or any other commentary on the subject.

My credentials to lead this discussion? In July 1992 I graduated with a degree in chemistry and walked straight into a job with one of the world’s best-known lubricant names. Today I still work there, having spent most of that 31 years in their R&D function. I have developed and supported oils for most automotive applications as well as a significant time working with marine engines. So that’s everything from a 50cc moped to a 100,000bhp diesel engine. Right now I look after transmission oils (auto, manual, DCT, CVT, axle etc) for cars, trucks, tractors etc and also EVs.

So, where to start? Perhaps the best place is to go back to a statement I made on t’other thread, “some of what had been said up-thread is not true and some has basis in fact”, and pick out certain comments for expansion.

“two years IMO is far too long for a car not to be up on a ramp and inspected.”
OK, so the much-debated extended oil drain interval topic. First, a bit of context. Some OEMs (“original equipment manufacturer”… car maker) offer oil drain intervals up to 30,000 km or 2 years. There are a few factors behind this, but one significant one is cost of ownership. Reduced servicing cost is a selling point (to some, especially fleets). It’s actually self-harming to the OEM dealer network because this means they don’t get to see the customer as often, so fewer opportunities to get up in their face with offers, deals, new parts etc.

It is enabled by long drain oils. Oils that are capable of 30,000 km or two-year service. Note that these maxima are under perfect conditions and are usually driven by the car’s onboard computer, which monitors how the car is being used – cold starts, journey lengths, oil temperatures, throttle openings, engine load etc – and calculates the remaining oil life, telling the driver when a service is needed through a message on the dashboard.

In order to achieve this, the oils must meet long drain oil specifications. The OEMs have onerous and lengthy testing programs which an oil must complete with all results at or better than requirements. This test program includes numerous lab tests, bench tests and several engine tests and can take at least 2 years (often much longer) and significant cost to complete. Every parameter of the oil’s performance is tested: viscosity at various hot and cold temperatures, oxidation, wear, deposit control, corrosion, DPF protection, seal compatibility, often fuel economy and others. You have to pass every test and these programs are not easy to pass. What you get though, if you do pass, is an oil capable of meeting the OEM’s demands for a 30,000 km/2 year service life. I happily run cars out to their long drain intervals – I’ve done it on several cars, petrol and diesel, without issue (including cars that I actually own, not lease).

This idea that some other, lower oil change interval is more acceptable is often fixed in the past and in resistance to change. Proposing 10,000 miles or 5,000 miles usually has no basis in fact or evidence (or is anecdotal at best), just comfort with a convenient round number like those your dad and their dad used. Of course, more frequent oil changes can only be good, right? After all, the cost of an oil change is cheaper than the cost of an engine. Yes, there’s some truth in that, but it means you will be disposing of perfectly serviceable oil and thus wasting its potential and consuming more hydrocarbons. Also, every oil change is an opportunity for a cock up – a cross-threaded drain plug, a misapplication of oil, accidental ingress of a contaminant, spillage.

“[Specified brand of oil] very well respected and good value.”
I see a lot… a LOT… of recommendations for oil based on user experience that it was really good for my car, my car loved it etc (apologies to the originator of the quote above who didn’t actually say this but it is a useful segue into this topic). Many people are convinced that ‘no harm’ means ‘really good’. Almost everybody who uses an oil in a car will have no idea how well it performed, only that it survived. They will also have no idea how a different oil would have performed. Very, VERY rarely is oil performance a direct contributor to catastrophic failure. I know this because I spent some of my 31 years running our company’s investigational laboratory, which was tasked with finding the cause of failures when the finger was pointed at the oil. Every single case I saw was caused by some other factor – misapplication, contamination and over-use being the main ones. My point is that the correct oil, used correctly, should never cause you a problem regardless of source.

But – and here’s a big but – how do you know it’s the correct oil? This is where oil specifications come in. In your handbook there will be a section that deals with oil type. It will state that you must use a certain viscosity and a certain oil specification. Things quickly get very complicated at this point as you wade through an alphabet spaghetti of requirements. ACEA A3/B4, API SJ, SAE 5W-30, MB 229.51, BMW LL-04, Ford WSS-M2C-948B, VCC RBS0-2AE, STJLR.03.5122 and so on.

Industry specifications. These are OEM-agnostic specs put together to satisfy the basic requirements of most OEMs in a region. API is the American Petroleum Institute. ACEA is the Association des Constructeurs Européens d’Automobiles. Some OEMS rely only on these as enough to satisfy their needs but many don’t and create their own specifications. These build on the API or ACEA requirements but add more OEM-specific demands, such as testing in their own engines, or compatibility with their specific seal materials. Most operate an approval system – you do the testing, you submit the results to the OEM, they endorse the results and give you an approval letter. This approval is usually time-limited and is always formulation-specific – you can’t change the oil’s ingredients; if you do, the approval is lost. By the way, you can find the ACEA light duty engine oil specifications here, if you're interested.

Many oil companies jump through the hoops, do the testing, acquire the approval and put it on their labels and data sheets. Some do not. Some use judgement or ‘read across’ data from other sources to demonstrate their confidence that an oil is capable of meeting a specification, but they don’t seek formal approval. This is often shown in statements such as “meets the requirements of…” or “suitable for use in…”. Unfortunately there are not many places you can verify an approval, but there is one good one. Mercedes publish all approved oils so you can check if an oil is approved against one of their “MB” specs. If an oil says it meets an MB spec but it isn’t listed, it isn’t approved. You may then use that information to infer whatever you like about any other specs they list or claims they make.

“meets all the ACEA and API specs, and has a fistful of manufacturer approvals.”
“At the end of the day, according to industry measure, as long as the correct spec is used, any oil should be OK”

“choosing one oil over another because of some snazzy advertising claim is daft.”
Meeting a spec is like a high jump. If you clear the bar you’re through. However you get no different outcome if you just scrape over the bar compared to if you clear it by feet. This is where differentiation can come in. Some oils clear the bar by a mile and so have to find different ways to express that – you may see statements about “xx% better” or “xx% reduced wear” or whatever. The oil company is trying to tell you that the oil is more than just a list of specs and has demonstrated performance above and beyond the requirements. So whilst it is true that having an approved oil is the least you need, there may be benefits of one approved oil over another.

“There's probably only half a dozen manufacturers - it's just branded under different names to appeal to different markets. Example: there isn't a Halfords oil refinery - they purchase from Comma.”
Globally there are probably more manufacturers than you might think, but there are certainly not as many manufacturers as there are oil brands and you’re right, store brands are made elsewhere. An oil manufacturer may choose to make oil for other brands or they may not. Some oil manufacturers’ whole business model is “third party blending” (ie making oil for whoever wants it). These contracts come and go, so a store brand may be made by one company one minute and another the next.

“I seem to remember reading cheap oils will degrade quicker, particularly as heat takes its toll.”
Heat is a significant factor in oil degradation, and oil degradation is a factor in performance. It’s not really about “cheap” though, it’s about intent. Cheap oils tend not to hold many oil specs, so shouldn’t really be expected to perform as well. Some applications don’t need a lot of performance, just an oily substance and a cheap oil will do this perfectly well. Just make sure to match the requirements to the oil specifications and you’ll get the performance you need.

“The bulk of oil sold in the UK, regardless of brand or label, is actually supplied by Hunting Lubricants”
In the context of engine oils I doubt it. All the majors make their own, as well as many of the boutiques. Most of it will be imported though.

“motorcycle oil is a bit of a crock too. In terms of formulation - mainly the need not to contaminate a wet clutch with friction modifiers - it is very close to a fairly basic diesel spec oil.”
Yes, motorcycle oils need to lubricate three major things – the engine, the gearbox and the clutch. These things often have diverging needs – for example to improve power and reduce fuel consumption you want a low friction environment in the engine, but to take up drive the clutch needs high friction. Hence a bike oil needs to satisfy the engine whilst also not affecting the clutch. Car engine oils may make use of friction modifiers to eke out every last mpg and CO2 and these can interfere with clutches, so using a modern car engine oil in a bike may cause issues. However, most bikes still specify quite old-fashioned viscosities – 10W-40, 5W-40, 15W-50 etc. Oils of this viscosity are not aimed at fuel economy so will generally not be a problem to the bike. Modern car oils are 5W-20, 0W-20, 0W-16 – these viscosities do not go in bikes! Bike engines do not need the robustness of a truck engine oil, specifically the TBN (“total base number” – a measure of an oil’s ability to neutralise acids). Bike oils may also employ ingredients better suited to resisting the high shear effects of the clutch and gearbox; this high shear environment can physically break apart long chain molecules which can cause the oil to become thinner.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
TL;DR :whistle:

OP
OP
figbat

figbat

Slippery scientist
So what is an an engine oil made of?

Simply put it is a mixture of 'base oils' and 'additives', according to closely controlled formulations to achieve the specifications, performance and cost required.

The base oils make up most of the product - it's like the water in a glass of squash. Most engine oils will contain at least two base oils, since base oils come in discreet viscosities, so you have to blend together different ones to achieve what you are after. The base oils are the foundation for the oil's performance, but base oils alone are not good enough, so additives are added to improve and enhance them. It is the base oils which determine if an oil is "synthetic", "mineral", "semi-synthetic" or whatever. Some base oils are refined from crude oil, cleaned up a bit with some processing and then used as mineral oils. Others take a refinery output, chemically alter the molecules to get a different thing from what went in - these are called synthetic. Other synthetic base oils are effectively stitched together from smaller molecules to get what you want. If all of the base oil in a product is a syntetic type, the oil is called fully synthetic. If it's a mix of one synthetic and one mineral, is is a semi-synthetic (or similar description).

Additives come in many types. Essentially that are chemical ingredients designed to do a specific job, but often with secondary benefits.

Viscosity improvers - used to enhance the viscosity of the base oils, keeping them from getting too thin when the oil gets hot. These are what make multigrade oil possible.

Detergents - added to help keep engine surfaces clean by encapsulating deposits and being attracted to metal surfaces. Also used to carry TBN into the oil, since the chemical that delivers TBN (calcium carbonate) is not soluble in oil.

Dispersants - used to encapsulate particles in the oil to prevent them from agglomerating and becoming deposits, or thickening the oil.

Anti-wear - used to reduce surface-to-surface contact or, where this contact happens, to minimise its effect on the metals by forming a protective layer.

Anti-oxidant - used to prevent the oxidation of the base oils, which would lead to thickening and corrosion.

Pour point depressants - used to lower the temperature at which an oil stops flowing.

Friction modifiers - used to create a slippery layer between surfaces to reduce the friction between them and help improve fuel efficiency or power output.

Corrosion inhibitors - used to protest either ferrous or non-ferrous metals from corrosion.

Anti-foam - used to prevent foaming, which can be harmful if circulated around the engine.

Each of these additive types has numerous choices and suppliers. Each has to be able to do its job without interfering with the other additives. Each is added at a precise dosage since too little or too much can be detrimental. The possible permutations and combinations of formulation you could come up with is almost endless, but the oil formulator's job is to come up with a combination that delivers all of the specification needs (usually for multiple specifications on the same product) at a cost that is acceptable.

There are four big suppliers of additives globally and most oils will use additives from them. However the specific ingredients will vary from product-to-product so you can't assume that any oil from one place is the same as one from another, even if they have a similar looking specification. One small change can make a big difference to performance - one oil may include a special enhancement in order to offer differentiated performance, whereas another might just go for the minimum required to meet the spec. There are literally thousands of different oil formulations out there.

OP
OP
figbat

figbat

Slippery scientist
I worked with a bloke who used to use oil that had gathered in drip trays under the printing machines because, "It is nice and thick, much better than that stuff they sold for cars".

Depends what he used it for. I suspect the oil was a thick machine oil, so likely just base oil with minimal or no additives. It would do a job in a very old engine - like early 20th century old - but I wouldn't use it in anything newer. Sometimes though, 'thick and oily' is the only specification needed.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
You certainly know your stuff. Everyone I've met/talked to about oil, is as you say, set in their ways and making use of advice given over the generations.

When I had motorbikes, I'd use the chepaest oil I could find that was the correct number (most were 10w40 I think). I remember once I bought some very expensive Castrol Racing oil and put it in my CBF125. It did seem to run ever so slightly quieter, but it required more spins of the engine to start it, whereas the cheap stuff from Asda was weird; you only had to look at the starter button and the engine leapt into life. Since then, and for bigger bikes too, I've always used cheap oil but ensured I changed it way before the OEM stated. Sometimes 1000miles before, and I never had any trouble, even on my FZ6 which was revving up to 14k rpm quite often because I liked the noise

OP
OP
figbat

figbat

Slippery scientist
You certainly know your stuff. Everyone I've met/talked to about oil, is as you say, set in their ways and making use of advice given over the generations.

When I had motorbikes, I'd use the chepaest oil I could find that was the correct number (most were 10w40 I think). I remember once I bought some very expensive Castrol Racing oil and put it in my CBF125. It did seem to run ever so slightly quieter, but it required more spins of the engine to start it, whereas the cheap stuff from Asda was weird; you only had to look at the starter button and the engine leapt into life. Since then, and for bigger bikes too, I've always used cheap oil but ensured I changed it way before the OEM stated. Sometimes 1000miles before, and I never had any trouble, even on my FZ6 which was revving up to 14k rpm quite often because I liked the noise

And that is what drives a lot of behaviour. Your experience (whether real or perceived) can't be ignored and what works for you, works for you. So long as that is how it is presented rather than being presented as evidence that [CheapOilCo] is better than [FancyMcLubeOil].

Top Bottom