The Mini and MINI thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Although motorcycle oil is a bit of a crock too. In terms of formulation - mainly the need not to contaminate a wet clutch with friction modifiers - it is very close to a fairly basic diesel spec oil. Yet manfucaturers shove it in fancy packaging and charge a kidney for it (wrote a thesis for my masters about lubricants - fnaar - used in aerospace environments so can get a bit anal once I'm started.)

Interesting. Happy to sit back and be educated when you do ‘start’ 🤣

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
You really don't want to start me on liquid fuels! People have been known to call the Samaritans once I'm in my stride with that one.

figbat

Slippery scientist
(wrote a thesis for my masters about lubricants - fnaar - used in aerospace environments so can get a bit anal once I'm started.)
I have spent my whole career (31 years and counting) working for one of the big names in lubricants in their R&D function. I’ve worked on oils for ships, trucks, cars, bikes, tractors - pretty much all wheeled vehicles. Engine and transmission. All I’ll say is some of what had been said up-thread is not true and some has basis in fact.

My MINI doesn’t need engine oil though, so I’m a sort of pariah. It does need transmission oil though - as all EVs do (often overlooked or forgotten), not to mention coolant, brake fluid and greases.

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
I have spent my whole career (31 years and counting) working for one of the big names in lubricants in their R&D function. I’ve worked on oils for ships, trucks, cars, bikes, tractors - pretty much all wheeled vehicles. Engine and transmission. All I’ll say is some of what had been said up-thread is not true and some has basis in fact.

Very cool 😎 Care to summarise our knowns and misconceptions; so we can be more educated going forward……

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Perhaps I’ll do a dedicated thread rather than derail this one. I’d be interested to hear more about @Drago ‘s theses and any other inputs

I have them in e form on my old laptop still. The Behaviour of Hydrocarbon Lubricants in Aerospace Rocketry Applications. I don't recall what title I gave the thrilling one about fuel, but that was actually fairly regular stuff, effects of octane on compression, atomisation, the effect of combustion chemistry on free radicals, benefits and drawbacks of methane over H and Lox, didnt break any new ground really, all fairly well understood stuff that one.

It was a bit sideways for me as I was doing Celestial Mechanics, but I did two modules on the practical side of flight/spaceflight. Not being an engineer I came to regret doing that and didnt get marked well.

CXRAndy

Guru
On the back of this thread, I've got my eye on a few cars to see if they sell in the next month or two. I might approach if my interest is still there. Keep looking in the meantime

tyred

Legendary Member
I saw some nice Minis and derivatives today.

IMG_20230501_141617.jpg

IMG_20230501_141503.jpg

IMG_20230501_141425.jpg

IMG_20230501_141021.jpg

IMG_20230501_140719.jpg

IMG_20230501_140412.jpg

IMG_20230501_130006.jpg

IMG_20230501_125929.jpg

IMG_20230501_125858.jpg

IMG_20230501_125840.jpg

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Are they?

Having owned 2 R56 Minis and an R55 Clubman over a 15 year period, they were completely reliable and utterly dependable, far better than the parent company products.

They are only problematic when they’re not serviced properly or frequently enough and they often become neglected first cars. The reputation for poor reliability is IMO unjustified

That's useful input. My now 20 year old Saab with 200,000 miles on it is getting close to end of life, and unless I can get another 95, ideally the estate in hooligan "aero" config, I could be tempted by a modern mini but was wary. The Mrs thinks the Saab is too big, which it is, particularly since parking is tight in our street.

Top Bottom