The Mini and MINI thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jameshow

Veteran
That's useful input. My now 20 year old Saab with 200,000 miles on it is getting close to end of life, and unless I can get another 95, ideally the estate in hooligan "aero" config, I could be tempted by a modern mini but was wary. The Mrs thinks the Saab is too big, which it is, particularly since parking is tight in our street.

Mine been to dorset and back without a blip!

The MK1 r50 -53 has low gearing (3k at 70mph) so a r56 might be better all rounder but not as raw as the r50-53.

Mine has a k+n filter would that make it noisy on the motorway??

Anyone driven both how do they compare?

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
If its a cone filter it'll be noisier, but a panel k&n will make little audibledifference.

mustang1

Legendary Member
I had a Mini Cooper S (chilli red, 5 door, auto) a few years ago and my SO said it takes too much fuel.
"That's odd," I thought, seems ok when I drive it.

One evening we went out and SO was driving. She's driving rather briskly, accelerating away from the lights and so on, not breaking speed limits though and I ask her if she always drives like that.
"Yes, I like the sound of the engine!"
Well, that explains the high petrol consumption then. :smile:

CXRAndy

Guru
Yes, classic shape. Body is in near perfect condition for its age, summer car, only garaged. It has a couple of creature comforts-aircon, adjustable seating that earlier Mini's lacked. Interior is perfect. Lacking miles of use, so will get used more to keep it running well. That said it comes with 12months MOT, been serviced just last week.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Yes, classic shape. Body is in near perfect condition for its age, summer car, only garaged. It has a couple of creature comforts-aircon, adjustable seating that earlier Mini's lacked. Interior is perfect. Lacking miles of use, so will get used more to keep it running well. That said it comes with 12months MOT, been serviced just last week.

Where on earth did they find space for an a/c compressor and evaporator?!

CXRAndy

Guru
Less space than conventional A series engine bay, but it certainly was banging out cold air.

Will be nice feature on hot days tiny car two occupants

CXRAndy

Guru
No Japan model, all converted including speedo /mile gauge with service history all the way back to first year of manufacture. Interior is immaculate.

Whoever retrimmed it did a fantastic job.

Daughter will use it to learn to drive, then, I either sell it or convert to EV. There are several manufacturers doing kits in the UK. Too pricey being quite new kits. In a few years will be cheaper to consider. America could be an export idea, they love original minis

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Outside a local "newer" mini centre

IMG_20230506_055437538.jpg

Top Bottom