The Mini and MINI thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

Sawdust will sort it, just make sure you sell it immediately

Wasn't it the diff that was the favourite for sawdust many years ago.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Freshly collected today. :becool:
IMG_4433.jpeg

gbb

Legendary Member
Yes, classic shape. Body is in near perfect condition for its age, summer car, only garaged. It has a couple of creature comforts-aircon, adjustable seating that earlier Mini's lacked. Interior is perfect. Lacking miles of use, so will get used more to keep it running well. That said it comes with 12months MOT, been serviced just last week.

While I see yours (and congrats btw) was a summer car as you put it, minis were always fickle imo. Dad brought a brand new one circa 1978 and it was virtually ready for scrap 5 years later. Equally I brought one circa 1976, it was already 15 years old...and had no real body corrosion i was aware of. Funny old cars minis, they could be very good, they could be utterly carp.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
MINIs always look smart, but when I had a look at one the small boot put me off.

The salesman, quite rightly, said it was easy enough to flop the rear backrests.

Fine as far as it goes, but you then have to reach in to load the luggage, and reach in again to hoik it out.

I also like my heavier luggage to be contained as far as is possible.

@figbat is the new car a significant upgrade on your old one?

figbat

Slippery scientist
MINIs always look smart, but when I had a look at one the small boot put me off.

The salesman, quite rightly, said it was easy enough to flop the rear backrests.

Fine as far as it goes, but you then have to reach in to load the luggage, and reach in again to hoik it out.

I also like my heavier luggage to be contained as far as is possible.

@figbat is the new car a significant upgrade on your old one?

No, it’s an identical replacement. I only did it because after having the previous one for about a year of a 3 year PCP my dealer offered me a like-for-like replacement for a lower monthly repayment. I think they may be regretting that offer now, but the deal is done!

Boot wise, yes it is small but so far I have not run out of space. It can be made a more practical shape as there are some retracting brackets that allow you to set the rear seat backrests to a vertical position, thus offering a more boxy space that is still contained. Obviously you can’t use the rear seats in this configuration. Mine has a false floor so all the gubbins goes under there (cables, first aid kit, tyre inflation kit etc) leaving the boot space empty of clutter. It takes two kids’-worth of school bags, PE kits, hockey sticks, tennis racquets etc OK.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I only did it because after having the previous one for about a year of a 3 year PCP my dealer offered me a like-for-like replacement for a lower monthly repayment.

Sounds good, particularly at a time of rising interest rates.

You are no doubt aware you will be paying for an extra year, but I can see why you were tempted.

Not that I claim to have a full understanding of PCPs and the other ways of paying for a car - other than giving the dealer a big pile of money.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Sounds good, particularly at a time of rising interest rates.

You are no doubt aware you will be paying for an extra year, but I can see why you were tempted.

Not that I claim to have a full understanding of PCPs and the other ways of paying for a car - other than giving the dealer a big pile of money.

Yep, fully aware of the consequences and why a dealer wants me to remain trapped, but I am happy with the situation for now. The deal was done at the end of last year when used car prices were insane and interest rates lower. By keeping me in the PCP trap I will be a future prospect for them, but it’s not like they’ll get much servicing business from me! My last car never went in for anything serviceable; I gave it back with the original tyres, brakes, brake fluid, filters, everything.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Do you go for the BMW service plan Figgers, a tenner a month for all service, and MOT?

I bought Mrs D's outright, plan being that it'll get passed on to Mini D when she's old enough so I went for the service plan. An extra 3 quid a month (I think it's 3 quid, haven't read the paperwork since I bought it for her in September) and she gets her tyres thrown in too. Just as well, cos she's a young lady in a hurry and it'll need new front boots by its first birthday.

Paley, you're right about the size. Boot is small so would be little use to me with the dog, though the clubman boot might do. In any case, my olde 2008 is our dog van so that was t a co sideration. That said, it's easily large enough for a few weeks shopping and the proportions are such that the bags line up and stand nicely in there.

I can get behind the wheel bit it's tight, so I've not driven it since we bought it. Front passenger seat is fine and very comfortable, so I'm happy to go along as Mrs D's passenger. I can't get in the back seat or the hatch without the assistance of the fire brigade. I can get in the back seat of the JCW if Mrs D puts the roof down, but then I have zero legroom when a human being occupies the front seats, so it's the front passenger seat for me again! That's fine, as I like cars and tinkering and even cleaning them, but just absolutely hate driving, very happy just to go along and enjoy the wind in my bald patch as a co-pilot.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Do you go for the BMW service plan Figgers, a tenner a month for all service, and MOT?

I bought Mrs D's outright, plan being that it'll get passed on to Mini D when she's old enough so I went for the service plan. An extra 3 quid a month (I think it's 3 quid, haven't read the paperwork since I bought it for her in September) and she gets her tyres thrown in too. Just as well, cos she's a young lady in a hurry and it'll need new front boots by its first birthday.

Paley, you're right about the size. Boot is small so would be little use to me with the dog, though the clubman boot might do. In any case, my olde 2008 is our dog van so that was t a co sideration. That said, it's easily large enough for a few weeks shopping and the proportions are such that the bags line up and stand nicely in there.

I can get behind the wheel bit it's tight, so I've not driven it since we bought it. Front passenger seat is fine and very comfortable, so I'm happy to go along as Mrs D's passenger. I can't get in the back seat or the hatch without the assistance of the fire brigade. I can get in the back seat of the JCW if Mrs D puts the roof down, but then I have zero legroom when a human being occupies the front seats, so it's the front passenger seat for me again! That's fine, as I like cars and tinkering and even cleaning them, but just absolutely hate driving, very happy just to go along and enjoy the wind in my bald patch as a co-pilot.

The deal I got included the ‘service inclusive’, which from memory was around £300 for a 3 year cover. It’ll only really need one service in that time but as it was ‘thrown in’ I’m ok with it. I didn’t get the service deal for the last car as I knew it was nip and tuck worth it.

Top Bottom