Pointless job interview test/task

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
That sounds ridiculous, almost like someone who confused team building with job interviews. Both activities suck but a hybrid like that..... I hope you told them you want to be an ostrich and kick someone's arse.

This sort of intiatives are created so that someone can put it down as an objective accomplished for the year. Whether it adds value is secondary

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Time for this one

6816fc59-eda4-414a-ad0c-061518783759.jpg

Oldbloke

Guru
I was interviewed for an engineering course and given a nut and bolt to join together, then told to climb up and down a ladder. I was mid 20s at the time and thought they were joking but no.

U

User33236

I was once told by my boss to stick my name and address on an otherwise blank application form for a higher grade job for which the deadline had been the previous day.
I obliged and, two days later, as i walked past his office he stuck his head out and said 'your interview went well'. Easiest interview i have ever not had lol.
Same boss asked another colleague at an interview to give 10 alternative uses for a bowling pin. 'Flick off' apparently wasn't the correct answer.

MarkF

Guru
I went for an interview, for a part time job in the NHS, last August. My interview was for 10am, it said so, clearly, in the letter they sent to me. I arrived at 9.15 and at 10am was invited into a room to do a test (multiple choice nonsense), the test papers advised taking 40 minutes to complete it, it took me 10, it would only have taken my cat a little longer. After 45 minutes a lady returned, collected my papers and vanished. A while later she returned, congratulated me on passing my test and said, "Your interview will be at 4.15pm, is that ok"? Of course it was, after all, I always happily waste every day between 10am and 4.15pm. :cursing:

Anyway, I got the job and "work" (such as it is) in the NHS is as chaotic and unproductive as the interview process.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I had to go outside and look at a lego construction and come back and describe it - in dribs and drabs - to my interview partner, who built it. I got the job. Rubbish job but it kept the wolf from the door for a few months.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
My daughter who is at University went for a job interview yesterday as a part time receptionist at a gym. She had to do a interview, a written test, a presentation on one of the companies core value words and what it meant to her. Then here is the silly part IMO, she had to build the biggest tower possible out of balloons and sellotape. ( she managed about 6ft apparently)
WTF does that have to do with being a receptionist?
Anybody else been asked to do similar pointless tests or tasks?

Coping with unusual situations.

Thinking on her feet.

Initiative (already mentioned in another post).

Sense of humour.

Pride in achievement.

Insight into thought process for a task.

Planner or dive straight in and see what happens type of person.

Loads of things really.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
My daughter who is at University went for a job interview yesterday as a part time receptionist at a gym. She had to do a interview, a written test, a presentation on one of the companies core value words and what it meant to her. Then here is the silly part IMO, she had to build the biggest tower possible out of balloons and sellotape. ( she managed about 6ft apparently)
WTF does that have to do with being a receptionist?
Anybody else been asked to do similar pointless tests or tasks?
Perhaps the gym caters for birthday parties... with balloons and cake? Mmm... cake.

Tin Pot

Guru
Whilst requiring people to sing in an interview is bordering in abusive, I do see the value in non-traditional interviews.

I recently helped a company recruiting, and they were more interested in getting the right kind if people than the skills and experience they had. They wanted people that would fit in and make the company better over years, not make everyone's life hard.

Traditional interviews don't achieve that.

ClassicLime

The tower building is to test how you react to a new/unexpected task & to gauge creativity/initive. If they provide a box of things, I'd suggest using all the things in the box and the box they came in. I dislike these 'tests'.

I really hate those "tell me about a time when you.." questions. I wish they didn't pussyfoot around and just asked straight questions.

For one job I had (automotive manufacturing);
- online IT test.
- on-site IT tests (guess to check you hadn't cheated the online ones).
- a face to face interview.
- a day at work 8 hour unpaid session (repetitive physical tasks to check you were able to do the work).
- second interview.
- physio check up.

For a temporary technical role (medical devices);
- face to face interview.
- written test.
- factory tour.
- coffee with the team (while I was there the coffee with the team appeared to be the most important part to see if you fitted in).
- they do the tower building test for graduates going for a permenant job.

Current job in scientific manufacturing support (plastics);
- quick interview (technical questions).
- factory tour (up to me to show interest & ask relevant questions).
- second interview (took me off guard not one technical question only personal questions. My interest in beer & motorcycles was obviously acceptable!)
- second factory tour with someone else (same as before upto the interviewee to ask questions).
- health check (a hearing test, blood pressure check & a drug screening).

Relevant technical written tests are fine but I went to one place which was a pure chemistry exam for a technical expert job in oils & additives. Nothing to do with understanding the job or products 'twas pretty pointless!

I've also been interviewed by a panel of 3 managers/directors with a webcam sat on the table staring at me recording my every answer & body language. Off putting for the first 5 mins but I was invited to a 2nd interview so I guess it was ok.

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I think a lot of interviews are a waste of time! I have no idea why interviewers don't just do the obvious ...

I went to one interview and was not asked a single question about electronic design or software development, which were the two areas that I would be working in. When it came to the end of the interview I asked why they hadn't checked my technical ability. The response was that they trusted the university exam system to weed out the incompetent ... Ha ha, that's all I can say about that - exam systems simply weed out people who can't pass exams!

For example - at university, I helped one of my fellow undergraduates with a problematic circuit that he was working on. He kept saying that it must work, he had double-checked his calculations. I pointed out that he would have needed to use a power supply with more oomph than the National Grid to do what he was trying to do! On top of which, the components he was using were not capable of working at the frequencies involved. And so on ... This lad had passed all of his first year exams, and was halfway through the second year of an Honours degree.

Years back, we got a new programmer straight from university. I spotted him looking very furtive, and discovered that he was balancing a copy of K&R on his lap, under his desk. I had a quiet word with him while management were looking the other way ...

We needed an experienced C programmer, so the company had advertised for one. New Guy had gone to his interview and just blagged it. They asked if he was experienced, so he simply said 'Yes' and they took his word for it!

It isn't difficult to check if somebody knows C. There are some incredibly easy traps to fall into which any experienced C programmer would know about. You could show them some suitable sample C code and ask them what it was supposed to do, and what was wrong with it. Nope, didn't bother. They probably asked him where he saw himself being in 5 years time. In reality, that was as a software team leader - somewhere else! :laugh:

Sandra6

Veteran
That sounds ridiculous, almost like someone who confused team building with job interviews. Both activities suck but a hybrid like that..... I hope you told them you want to be an ostrich and kick someone's arse.
I'll remember that one. I said I'd be a cat because they're independent but not averse to pretending they like you to get a nice warm fire to sit beside.

ClassicLime

Years back, we got a new programmer straight from university. I spotted him looking very furtive, and discovered that he was balancing a copy of K&R on his lap, under his desk. I had a quiet word with him while management were looking the other way ...

I'll remember to have a word next time it happens.
I've been in the situation before when such a blagger joined a team I was part of. I spent 6 months dragging them along & fixing their flip ups (not to help them but make sure my team met it's targets). That was until my manager asked my honest opinion & they were subsequently moved elsewhere.
It's not worth the stress though. If someone's new & trying I'll happily help but if their out of their depth & slacking next time I was going to hang them out to dry and ensure I've met my own goals. I'll try having a word first.

Top Bottom