Pointless job interview test/task

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I was once asked if I'd move to Milton Keynes (!!)
My enthusiasm for the job visibly declined, and lo! No job offer was forthcoming.

A team interview can be helpful

I attended one where there was a group who outnumbered the places

One task was to design and present a novel Christmas gift

I liked one candidate who was not outstanding or forward, but who was making a point of involving a couple of the quiter ones and ensuring they had an input. Not overly strong in the interviews

However it was the teamwork that influenced my decision as although less outgoing she was a team player with a caring attitude

Still in my team and I have not regretted the decision

However I do wonder whether I would have accepted them if I had not seen the team project

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
I had an interview for IT support with a law firm, the five applicants were all together and we had to choose a person and act out that the old "who can we throw out the balloon to save the rest" game. Bit difficult to argue for yours when someone else chose Nelson Mandela.
They gave the job to someone who had worked there before, so the whole thing was pointless any way.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I had an interview for IT support with a law firm, the five applicants were all together and we had to choose a person and act out that the old "who can we throw out the balloon to save the rest" game. Bit difficult to argue for yours when someone else chose Nelson Mandela.
They gave the job to someone who had worked there before, so the whole thing was pointless any way.

Wasn't pointless from their perspective.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I bet the job was already a done deal, and the interview was going through the motions...

midlife

Guru
At one university I worked in we gave up on interviews as the end results bore no relation to how they performed at interview. Prior to that we used to do a dexterity test (the degree course was very practical) but again the results of the dexterity test did not predict if they qualified.

Shaun

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Why would they waste their time doing that then?
Sometimes they have to to show it was a fair open competition.
I was told after one interview that I had only been invited to attend to 'make the numbers up'. The employer had government funding and needed to meet certain requirements, one of which was to exceed a minimum number of applicants to be interviewed for the posts ... :cursing:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I was told after one interview that I had only been invited to attend to 'make the numbers up'. The employer had government funding and needed to meet certain requirements, one of which was to exceed a minimum number of applicants to be interviewed for the posts ... :cursing:

that really is piss-poor. As a recruiting manager I would go to a lot of effort to avoid being pushed into that position. I hated having to even advertise roles when there was a clear shoe-in candidate. It's just mean wasting other peoples time. I guess there's an argument for letting other internal candidate have a shot at something, but not getting outside people to take a day's leave for effectively a non-job.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
that really is piss-poor. As a recruiting manager I would go to a lot of effort to avoid being pushed into that position. I hated having to even advertise roles when there was a clear shoe-in candidate. It's just mean wasting other peoples time. I guess there's an argument for letting other internal candidate have a shot at something, but not getting outside people to take a day's leave for effectively a non-job.
Yes - I was not impressed!

Top Bottom