Pointless job interview test/task

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrPie

Telling it like it is since 1971
Whole day 'interview' for a well know oil & Gas major. Most if it was exactly as you would expect, but there was one rather strange on the spot role play section. They explained - you are the CEO of a manufacturing company. A 3rd party 'bit' supplier supplied some dodgy materials leading to failure of your product and a high profile celeb type kid got hurt...and they are going public. You got 2 mins to prepare yourself for a response to the media that will be shown on BBC news at 10 tonight. Lights, camera.....and you are ON!!!

Talk about being on the farkin spot! I wouldn't mind but it was a technical job. Got the job too :thumbsup:

Whole day 'interview' for a well know oil & Gas major. Most if it was exactly as you would expect, but there was one rather strange on the spot role play section. They explained - you are the CEO of a manufacturing company. A 3rd party 'bit' supplier supplied some dodgy materials leading to failure of your product and a high profile celeb type kid got hurt...and they are going public. You got 2 mins to prepare yourself for a response to the media that will be shown on BBC news at 10 tonight. Lights, camera.....and you are ON!!!
Talk about being on the farkin spot! I wouldn't mind but it was a technical job. Got the job too
What did you say ? I'd have gone with something like we're very sorry to hear about young Freddie's accident, wishing him a speedy recovery, we have launched a full and indepth enquiry, keen to understand what lessons can be learnt, speculation wouldn't be helpful at present moment. Not a million miles from the project report I present to my boss every Friday :thumbsup:. Oh heavens, today is Friday, better get on to it...

There were a few of upper managers at my outfit who went on a course of how to deal with media interviews. Apparently one of the TV interviewers techniques is to pause, you then feel obliged to fill the gap yourself, probably with stuff you shouldn't say. Don't - a dead air silence is their problem, not yours.

Sandra6

Veteran
I once attended a whole day interview for a job in a nursery, one of the other candidates was currently in post as a trainee. I kind of wish I'd said " I'll get my coat" instead of just thinking it.

Not really. I worked with someone with a PhD whose basic maths and English skills were completely lacking. Brainy guy - but borderline functionally innumerate and illiterate.
I'm quoting the two interviewers but given I have Engineering degrees, they better be pretty good :thumbsup:

Top Bottom