Police fining cyclist for breaking the law..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Good! Although I am not sure why they think the use of an ASL is breaking the law.

For the last few years in central London I've seen police cars pull over cyclists many times - not sure this is new? Unless those being pulled over were just being told off and not fined although it did look like details were usually being taken.

It's a good thing - as a cyclist and a driver, there are rules of the road that should be adheared to. Those that think the rules don't apply should either petition for them to change or accept the penalties.

Oh great, so as if we aren't targetted enough already the police have more powers by which they can abuse us, I wonder how long it will be before I am stopped again because a police officer couldn't overtake me without resorting to speeding? Or how long it will be before I am stopped for filtering through traffic because an officer can't do it in his car?

All this will do is give every otehr road user a high horse to sit on as they rant and rave about all the bad things we do to hold them up.

Parliment and the media should be praising us, not harrassing us, we reduce polution and congestion, some of us do this all year round.

Oh great, so as if we aren't targetted enough already the police have more powers by which they can abuse us, I wonder how long it will be before I am stopped again because a police officer couldn't overtake me without resorting to speeding? Or how long it will be before I am stopped for filtering through traffic because an officer can't do it in his car?

Neither of those things listed is against the law, however other things that some cyclists do are.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
In the past lorry and bus drivers have been blamed for many cycling accidents, but as the issue has received more exposure recently it has become accepted that cyclists need to share the responsibility on the roads

What the hell are they trying to imply here?
I do wish they'd put as much effort into fining motorists who routinely flout the law; using mobiles, jumping red lights, speeding. Almost always much more dangerous than the illegal things cyclists do (and I'm not condoning or excusing any of that).

LosingFocus

Lost it, got it again.
Its just a pity alot of policeman dont know which ones are and arent or they choose to ignore it.

Want a brush to go with that sweeping statement?

apollo179

The majority of cyclists swan about on the pavement and down the local precinct with no realistation that there are any laws about cycling. me amongst them although now i do know otherwise and am prepared to accept that technically the law may apply to cyclists.
My own experience is that police apply common sense and do nothing to cyclists. I have rljed many times in front of police cars without a care in the world , not because im an anarchist but because i didnt realise there was anything wrong with it and ive never had a word said to me by police or motorist come to that. Indeed i dont think motorists care about cyclists, i certainly didnt when i drove.
Hopefully common sense will prevail and its all just nonsense dreamt up by some overpaid paperpusher with nothing better to do.

Melonfish

Evil Genius in training.
Does it actually state that cyclists have to stop at red lights? i mean you'd be a damned idiot to go through one but has the highway code been updated to include cyclists as a requirement to stop at red?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom