Police helicopters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bof

Senior member. Oi! Less of the senior please
One's flying round and round in circles near my house now.

We've had this at least once a day for the last week and its starting to annoy me. Either someone has bought the police a load of brand new toys to fly around in or I should be sectioned for advanced paranoia.

They are overhead here a lot. I quite like it because it means that whatever chavbastard who stole/hurt/vandalised/did drugs etc is almost certain to get caught and not escape.

Police helicopters are often used to search for missing people, say people with severe depression who just leave the house and don't return one morning. They will be doing something useful up there.

Zoiders

Quite often they are looking for weed factories, you could have an enclave of druggies near by

They use the FLIR to spot the stupid amounts of radiation given off by the sun lamps they use, lights the roof up like a christmas tree at night

papercorn2000

We used to use the helicopter when chasing thieves if they went to ground at night. They used to use the IR but they also had a f*** off big searchlight, which I made the mistake of looking at!

barq

I saw one recently that was hovering very close (I live near a big park where people like messing around at night). They were shining a spotlight directly downwards and apparently searching for someone. That light must have been so bright, you could see it cutting through the air with incredible clarity.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
They used to fly around where i live alot at night. They would keep me awake at night which really annoyed me.
A friend lived out in the country side, and they used to use the big light and it used to come in though his window. He ended up having to put bin liners on the backs of his curtains to block the light.

trio25

Über Member
There is often one out where I go mountain biking. One evening I was cycling over to meet friends and visability was poor, I could hear the helicopter but not see it, it seemed to be following me though as it sounded like it was right above me.

papercorn2000

Left a few years back. Nightshifts killed me, I hated having to work weekends and I seemed to spend all my days off at court.
Went back to teaching. Work fewer hours for more money more sleep, more holidays and more weekends off.

domtyler

Über Member
papercorn2000 said:
Left a few years back. Nightshifts killed me, I hated having to work weekends and I seemed to spend all my days off at court.
Went back to teaching. Work fewer hours for more money more sleep, more holidays and more weekends off.

Eh? I thought you said you got sacked for pilfering office supplies and eating the station hamster?

Top Bottom