Police Pull Cyclist Over/ Interesting Watch

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
There are a number of members on here that would vehemently disagree with you.

I am sure that will be the case, as a lot of people with disabilities do cycle. Equally, there are a number of people who would not be able to ride a bike for a variety of reasons, eg inability to balance.
Those same people may be perfectly able to drive. I was in no way suggesting that disabled people in general cannot ride bicycles, just that some cannot and that should not be a bar to them driving a motor vehicle.

Gixxerman

Guru
The BBC did a documentary on modern police life a while ago, made some interesting points:
(Off topic alert!)
"People like us". Fabulous series. "The pilots" was a classic.

Bman

Guru
Agreed that the cyclist did not handle this that well as it escalated, but I feel that his initial actions of knocking on the window were not out of a desire to create a big fuss and a video for youtube; both parties could have handled their discourse better, and the police officers having received training should have behaved better.

Granted the cyclists behaviour towards the end overshadows the reasonably calm manner in which he challenged the police for being in the bus lane, and makes him come across as confrontational. This impinges on what is essentially an incredibly important function of society, that we should be able to challenge and hold to account the governing executive (the police). Resulting in most of the replies on the last five pages being critical of challenging the police. Such unquestioning obedience of an institution with a poor track record of misuse of power is worrying, and is perhaps symbolic of the little attention and absence of any convictions for over 350 deaths in custody just since 1998.

I find the notion of an "attitude test" ridiculous. For a start the police officers in the video would have surely failed any such test, and the police should not be there uphold or judge such subjective measures as attitude. The imposition that one is able to judge someone's attitude carries connotations of moral superiority. The police officer's decision to ask for his details was clearly motivated by moral judgements, and perhaps a level of arrogance at having his authority challenged, rather than a belief that the cyclist had broken the law. This is demonstrated by the officer not stating which act they are stopping the cyclist under and for what reasons, and their need to exaggerate the force by which the cyclist tapped on their window.

If we are to continuing functioning as a society that perceives a need for a police force, then we should be able to challenge them on all of their actions and not expect them to act in an aggressively defensive manner!

Couldnt have said it better myself.

This video is about a policeman's reaction to having his authority challenged. Despite the less than perfect cyclist cammer, I can see the point here. It's a shame others can't.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Couldnt have said it better myself.

This video is about a policeman's reaction to having his authority challenged. Despite the less than perfect cyclist cammer, I can see the point here. It's a shame others can't.

There is a system in place for complaining about the conduct of Police Officers if you feel that they are behaving inappropriately. From being on the receiving end of it several times over my service (mostly as a result of malicious complaints) I can assure you that there are no "cover ups" by those doing the investigating, who are desperate to further their careers.

The time and place to complain about the Police is not in the confrontational manner of the cyclist in the OPs' clip. That is just being a prat, and it is never going to end well. Especially when you don't have your facts correct regarding emergency vehicles in bus lanes.

D

Deleted member 23692

Not read all the thread, but it's just another tit with a vid camera deliberately provoking incidents to solely acquire youtube footage in order to get their ego pampered.
Odd how sticking a camera on your bonce makes you believe you're 100% correct in all instances.

mad despot

Veteran
Helmet cam man strikes again. I bet he couldn't wait to get that on Youtube, initial frisson of excitement, then giggling to himself all the way home where his excited shakey hands struggle to plug it into his computer. Wiping the drool from his mouth he finally manages to upload it.

:laugh: Brilliant!

d87francis

There is a system in place for complaining about the conduct of Police Officers if you feel that they are behaving inappropriately. From being on the receiving end of it several times over my service (mostly as a result of malicious complaints) I can assure you that there are no "cover ups" by those doing the investigating, who are desperate to further their careers.

The time and place to complain about the Police is not in the confrontational manner of the cyclist in the OPs' clip. That is just being a prat, and it is never going to end well. Especially when you don't have your facts correct regarding emergency vehicles in bus lanes.
I think your being sucked into viewing the event in the context of the cyclist's eventual reaction, like many others. The way in which he challenged them was not in a confrontational manner, despite the police officer who was driving exaggerating the force with which he tapped the window. His eventual temper and non compliance with the police officers was as a direct result to the petty way in which the police were responding.

Such a minor infraction is not worth going through the bureaucracy to file an official complaint. If you genuinely believe that we cannot hold the police accountable in a manner where we directly challenge them on their current actions, then I'm afraid you too have fallen into the police ego trap!

Regardless of the legality of the police car being in the bus lane, they are not bothered to challenge any other motorists in the bus lane, and what's wrong with them setting a precedent by not joining the lane until the end. Yet they will happily jump out the car and do something because a cyclist has shown the audacity to challenge their actions.

I do, however, agree with you about the IPCC. They have now on several occasions raised concerns over the CPS not pursuing cases with strong evidence of misconduct, and juries failure to successfully prosecute officers in the face of relatively strong evidence. It's up to you what you read from this, but it certainly paints a picture of a public that are afraid to challenge the police even in light of "strong evidence".

BSRU

A Human Being
Odd how sticking a camera on your bonce makes you believe they 100% correct in all instances.

No it doesn't, talk about sweeping generalisations :headshake:

d87francis

This incident gives no insight whatsoever into public attitudes to policing, it paints a picture of a lone cyclist lacking in communication skills.
The quote "It's up to you what you read from this, but it certainly paints a picture of a public that are afraid to challenge the police even in light of "strong evidence"." is in reference to the IPCCs criticism of a lack of successful prosecutions by juries in the face of "strong evidence". It is not referring to the video.

The cameraman (one might imagine) probably thinks he looks clever in this footage or he'd have done what any sane cammer would do and delete it.

He is the very epitome of 'excitable'. I'm no psychologist, but he appears to be looking for some recordable interaction and he finds it.

His language almost paints his near-climax excitement: "You created a traffic offence!" he chirps delightedly more than once.

My wife and I giggle at people who use their 'reading my own poetry' voice on R4. This guy is using his 'recording my own brilliance' voice and vocabulary - except the vocabulary, the actions and the voice fall rather short of brilliance.

He sounds as though he received an education. He also sounds as if it availed him little.

As to the the suggestion that those mocking the bike boy somehow promote a society in which the Police can get away with anything... Well, that seems like a bit of a jump. The view of some posters might just be based on thinking that superannuated teenage snot-goblins with recording equipment and a lust for confronting authority ought sometimes to be too embarrassed by the resulting footage to post it online. That this chap was not says even more about him than his quite disturbing performance on screen.

It is entertaining, but not in a good way for the bike boy.

(Edit: Just looked at the Youtube comments - BikeBoy says he was riled partly because he was on a Strava PB at the time. This layer cake of deeply piled crapulosity needs no adorment... But if it did, there's the cherry it was looking for.)

BSRU

A Human Being
(Edit: Just looked at the Youtube comments - BikeBoy says he was riled partly because he was on a Strava PB at the time. This layer cake of deeply piled crapulosity needs no adorment... But if it did, there's the cherry it was looking for.)

That is Strava for you, a hotbed of bicycle hooligans :tongue:

boydj

Legendary Member
I think your being sucked into viewing the event in the context of the cyclist's eventual reaction, like many others. The way in which he challenged them was not in a confrontational manner, despite the police officer who was driving exaggerating the force with which he tapped the window. His eventual temper and non compliance with the police officers was as a direct result to the petty way in which the police were responding.

Such a minor infraction is not worth going through the bureaucracy to file an official complaint. If you genuinely believe that we cannot hold the police accountable in a manner where we directly challenge them on their current actions, then I'm afraid you too have fallen into the police ego trap!

Regardless of the legality of the police car being in the bus lane, they are not bothered to challenge any other motorists in the bus lane, and what's wrong with them setting a precedent by not joining the lane until the end. Yet they will happily jump out the car and do something because a cyclist has shown the audacity to challenge their actions.

I do, however, agree with you about the IPCC. They have now on several occasions raised concerns over the CPS not pursuing cases with strong evidence of misconduct, and juries failure to successfully prosecute officers in the face of relatively strong evidence. It's up to you what you read from this, but it certainly paints a picture of a public that are afraid to challenge the police even in light of "strong evidence".
It's not his place to tell the police how to do their job or what their priorities should be. They have a Chief Constable who is very focussed on statistics and performance figures and I doubt if bus lanes figure in there anywhere. Woe betide a PC spending any time on anything that's not going to help the monthly stats - and that probably includes wasting time on arrogant little cycle cammers.

Top Bottom