Police stopping cyclists in Preston

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

diapason

When I was a kid, there used to be a card which you could fill in with the details of your bike and hand in to the nick. It was 'marketed' under the moniker of 'Willie Snatchitt' :wacko:

snorri

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 1576874"]
Er no, User76 thinks that most Police officers wouldn't know an spd from a Look Delta from an Asda flat pedal.[/quote]

Most cyclists wouldn't know the difference either, does it matter? A detailed knowledge of every bike component is not essential in order to detect cycle related crime.

Zoiders

[QUOTE 1576875"]
Bloody hell Norm, read Zoiders suggestion. He has suggested to establish ownership, the copper would ring the bike shop or Google them. If it's late, or the shop is shut or they have no handy iphone then how?
[/quote]All coppers carry a phone capable of receiveing email, they are also connected by that phone to other officers who have access to other computers.

They are never ever out of coms, either on line or by voice traffic, they can check your story out sharpish, even if it's just to confirm that the shop even exists.

It's exactly the same as if they did a persons known check on you if they suspected you of something - which would most probably be the next step for all the gobby pedants this thread has attracted if they were ever pulled over.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
[QUOTE 1576882"]
You are blinded by your desire for this to work. You are suggesting that a copper on the ground, gets in touch with a copper in a control room, to check if a certain bike shop stocks a certain bike. If they do, you carry on, if they don't they confiscate your bike.

Think about it man. Where does it stop? Will you be asked to prove where you got your posh smartphone, your nice suit, your car, your laptop? Why focus on bikes? More phones are nicked than bikes, focus on smartphone users I say.
[/quote]

There's hypothesising, theorising and plain old making up scenarios on both side of this discussion.

It could also be argued that certain posters may also be blinded by their insistence that we either live in, or are a mere stones-throw away from a police state.

Well I hope the bobbies stop and check the little shoots that ram raided my garage overnight and stole my Yeti 575 and the g'f's Trek 4900 ( see Stolen Bikes section ).

Any short arse riding the Yeti will stand out like a sore thumb on the XL frame, but then again it's probably been stripped for parts already or on flea bay somewhere.

Bike thieves, may they all poo hedgehogs then die a long horrible painful death.

I have 2 older mtb's and no receipts, i know for a fact they are not stolen but purchased by myself and restored to former glory.
would this mean i would love my bikes if stopped?
i can afford to buy a bike new from a shop as i got 5 kiddies and no bloody job at the moment so choose to source second hand and restore.

This has got me worried i have never been stopped by the police yet but dreading the day i do.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Stuart, don't worry, despite some fairly committed scare-mongering on here, you will not lose your bike if you are stopped by the police. A few simple questions and answers are all that it will take to show them you are genuine. (tin hat at the ready, but I'm not all that troubled!)

Top bit of thread-mining by the way, chapeau.

StuartG

slower but further
I don't see the problem. Proof of ownership is not the issue. All they want to know is it isn't stolen which is fine by me. We don't carry receipts around but most bikes carry a frame number. Offer that up and that should be fine. Provided the police have a decent database of bikes stolen that is ...

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
4867715 - that's my frame number. Unfortunately, it is the number of the bike which I had stolen from my school bike sheds in 1968! (It's really annoying remembering stupid information which is no longer of use, but forgetting current information which would be!)

The police are welcome to my frame numbers nothing to hide there , both my mtb have been repainted one matt black i alway's thought to myself it looks a bit dodgy lol.
I suppose any bike thief worth there salt would just grind the frame number off.

Top Bottom