Police stopping cyclists in Preston

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

doog

and that is the context of the current scheme - as has been pointed out and referenced by several posters.

there is no program of random stops

for info the met police guidance on stop and search is here>>>>http://www.met.polic...rch/what_is.htm

Is it stop or stop/ search?

From the Met Site

The police officer or police community support officer must explain why you are being stopped and held to account for your actions or presence in an area.

That is not an excuse to stop a cyclist to check if his bike is stolen unless you suspect it is stolen. There is no practical way of stopping cyclists in a controlled operation other than mass or random stops.

The stop legislation clearly states you must account for your actions or presence in an area - clearly this doesnt apply . That leaves stop / search which means they must suspect the bike is stolen when they stop them as Preston Police cannot simply pull a bike over without this suspicion.

If 17 bikes were seized why no arrests? Handling?

Zoiders

[QUOTE 1576860"]
I've just rung Sidwell Cycles in Exeter to see if they stock Trek. Unfortunately it appears to be shut, so your sarcastic reply appears not to have even less going for it than the original concept we are discussing.

Unless of course all bike shops become compelled to list their stock on the answering machine. Ummm could work I suppose. So Zoiders, do you impound my bike or not?
[/quote]If only there was a magic box that projects images and pages of text upon command as well.

PK99

Legendary Member

That is not an excuse to stop a cyclist to check if his bike is stolen unless you suspect it is stolen.

There has been no suggestion that the Preston operation is random stops - have you read the top post in the thread:

>>>

Targeting riders
Police officers are of course not stopping every cyclist out riding their bike. People are only stopped from riding their bikes if an officer believes that the bike could be stolen, Lancashire Police told us. For instance, a man who is riding a woman’s bike or a child’s bike will be stopped as that instantly rouses suspicion.

There is no practical way of stopping cyclists in a controlled operation other than mass or random stops.

is that so?

Iif one of the scrotes who make Wimbledon town centre a very dodgy place to park bikes were to nick mine (not likely as i never leave it there for fear of said scrotes and the experience of too many friends) and was spotted on an SPD clad Van Nicholas that most likely was far too big for him and he was wearing trainers, i would like to think that an observant police officer might think that a tad strange and ask to have a word. And if i popped out to the shop wearing trainers (again unlikely) and was stopped for the same reason, I'd have no problem.

PK99

Legendary Member

That is not an excuse to stop a cyclist to check if his bike is stolen unless you suspect it is stolen.

There has been no suggestion that the Preston operation is random stops - have you read the top post in the thread:

>>>

Targeting riders
Police officers are of course not stopping every cyclist out riding their bike. People are only stopped from riding their bikes if an officer believes that the bike could be stolen, Lancashire Police told us. For instance, a man who is riding a woman’s bike or a child’s bike will be stopped as that instantly rouses suspicion.

There is no practical way of stopping cyclists in a controlled operation other than mass or random stops.

is that so?

Iif one of the scrotes who make Wimbledon town centre a very dodgy place to park bikes were to nick mine (not likely as i never leave it there for fear of said scrotes and the experience of too many friends) and was spotted on an SPD clad Van Nicholas that most likely was far too big for him and he was wearing trainers, i would like to think that an observant police officer might think that a tad strange and ask to have a word. And if i popped out to the shop wearing trainers (again unlikely) and was stopped for the same reason, I'd have no problem.

doog

>>>

Targeting riders

is that so?

here is a fact for you. Many burglars wear Reebok classics. Police dont go around stopping everyone in Reebok classics.

Think about it
thumbsup.png

As I said....no powers to stop and 17 bikes seized should equate to 17 arrests unless those officers were on a 'fishing trip'.

Zoiders

[QUOTE 1576867"]
"No officer, I got it in that bike shop in Brighton, can't remember the name"

"OK sonnymylad, I'll just get on my iphone and look up the bike shops in Brighton. Now where abouts was the bike shop?"

"It was by the station, I think."

"Right we have 4 showing in the..hold on, the signals dropped. No, it's back, now which of these 4 was..hold on, it's dropped again. Ah, no it's back, now was it ..........."

Yeah, that should work a treat, don't see any problems there :rolleyes:

Remember, we are dealing with average Joe Copper, the very same ilk that didn't interview Harold Shipman because they thought a Dr wouldn't kill people, the ones who got Ian Huntley to help with the chairs for the press conferences without noticing he was a psychopathic double child killer, who interviewed Peter Sutcliffe and let him go....twice, and who arrested a bloke in Bristol on suspicion of murder because he looked odd!

Personally I look forward to the national roll-out of this campaign, along with the twin initiative of the "If you aren't wearing a helmet you must have nicked the bike, and if you are we'll have you for going equipped" Campaign.
[/quote]Blah blah blah User76 - this isn't a pedantry competition.

Failing to provide a reasonable excuse the copper can then take it further, as in taking the bike and making him/her provide more details, then they can take all of 5 minutes to follow up on the story provided.

You can make up all the impossible scenarios you like but it's a workable system.

Norm

[QUOTE 1576869"] It's a nonsense idea. [/quote] What, to suggest that they'd be confiscating bikes if they couldn't call a bike shop at 9pm?

Yes, you are right, but then it's not the worst one on this thread.

To any police officer that is reading this thread who has randomly stopped a scrote and recovered a bike, or knows of a colleague who has done so, I am at a loss to understand what is going on here. There are things the police do I don't always agree with, this is not one of them.
I would be pleased to be stopped by the police and asked about the bike I was riding, what is more I would go further and offer to report anything that I strongly suspected to be stolen.

21 pages
rofl1.gif

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable
[QUOTE 1576869"]

Do you honestly believe that the average copper knows what an spd pedal looks like? Or if a bike is worth £50, £500 or £5000 ?
[/quote]

Not a chance....the majority of cops couldn't tell a top of the range bike form a Tesco BSO. Unless you actually have an interest..Personally I couldn't tell a ming vase from a cheap taiwanse fake...Bet they wouldn't be happy knowing that on www.Antiqueschat.net

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
[QUOTE 1576869"]

Do you honestly believe that the average copper knows what an spd pedal looks like? Or if a bike is worth £50, £500 or £5000 ?
[/quote]

this is a true story...

A girl goes missing, probably a runaway so the police go round her known 'haunts' to see if she's staying at any of them. copper visits a certain house to ask the occupants if they know the whereabouts of said girl, they don't. however the copper does notice an Orange Clockwork parked in the hall and thinks "that bike's a bit too nice for this house" so he calls it in. No bike matching that description has been reported stolen, but a bike matching that description has been registered/post-coded with the police, so they ring the owner of the registered Clockwork Orange.

enter my mate John... who has no idea his bike has been stolen from his shed until the police ring him.

It was his bike and just because a policeman officer thought "that doesn't look right", a stolen bike was recovered. In my mind this is an example of good pro-active police work.

Norm

[QUOTE 1576875"]
Bloody hell Norm, read Zoiders suggestion. He has suggested to establish ownership, the copper would ring the bike shop or Google them. If it's late, or the shop is shut or they have no handy iphone then how?
[/quote]
Sorry I thought it was obvious but my point was that they are unlikely to be doing a targeted campaign which includes asking riders to name their LBS at 9 o'clock in the evening.

JamieRegan

Maybe this highlights to all of us that we can't prove we own our bikes and in order to crack down on genuine theft, there should be some system in place where we could.

When you buy a new tv, you have to give your name and address now so that they can check you have a tv licence. Perhaps there's something similar that could be done along with a stamp on the frame. I remember when I was a kid, the police came to our school and stamped your postcode on the frame of your bike.

You could have a voluntary registration for second hand or hand built bikes.

Top Bottom