Police stopping cyclists in Preston

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!
and a police officer would know that how?

does this happen in your neck of the woods?

edit... ps. you failed to respond to my 2nd point:

"Or alternatively, as a victim of a crime and you supply a partial description to the police. eg. about six foot high, wearing a dark top and white baseball cap... would you object to the police stopping 3 or 4 people who fit that description before they finally 'get 'em'?"

how do you feel about the police randomly stopping other people in order to solve a crime?

I would object to the police randomly stopping any innocent people, they used to they called it "sus" and used it to discriminate against black males.

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!
Oh lets all conjure up extreme examples and pretend it's normal police behaviour.

It seems where some folk are concerned, the police cannot do right for doing wrong.

No they can't do wrong for doing wrong. Stopping innocent people for questioning is not "doing right", the ends, do not, justify the means.

diapason

To quote Baron Acton (also attributed to Churchill, JFK and Nixon) "Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely". The police are being given ever greater powers. The majority of officers use those powers responsibly, but a sigificant minority do not. Many lawyers believe that we are living in what is fast becoming a police state - indeed, a friend of mine who grew up in Soviet Russia says that she enjoyed more freedom from surveillance in Leningrad in the 70's than we do now in England. We all need to be vigilant to make sure that the powers which we, the public, give to the police BY CONSENT are not abused.

I get this vision of a thief leaving his house in lycra, helmet, goggles and gloves each morning, wandering around town all day raising suspicion everywhere he goes........ until the moment he pinches a bike and cycles home.:biggrin:

IGMC

Heheh it was on here somewhere and someone was talking about thieves in london carrying helmets and such with them, actually wearing a helmet in london is probably suspicious in itself
whistling.gif

Christopher

Über Member
I live in Preston and was stopped while biking home last night by a PCSO. There was tape across the cycle path & he said you can't come through here, this is a crime scene. It was in Bamber Bridge, technically a satellite village of Preston. Haven't seen owt on the news yet - it's in a stretch where people often drink in small groups. Never had any trouble off them myself though.
Have looked, nothing on the news yet. Hope it's nothing too serious.

I live in Preston and was stopped while biking home last night by a PCSO. There was tape across the cycle path & he said you can't come through here, this is a crime scene. It was in Bamber Bridge, technically a satellite village of Preston. Haven't seen owt on the news yet - it's in a stretch where people often drink in small groups. Never had any trouble off them myself though.
Have looked, nothing on the news yet. Hope it's nothing too serious.

/Off Topic/

Would that be on the Preston > Bamber Bridge cycleway using the old tramline? I used to ride that, nice alternative to riding the A6 into preston.

/On topic/

Christopher

Über Member
hi wiggy
Yep. It is rather vegetated in places but much better than the A6. Recently the council have completed another track over the old East Lancs railway line over the Ribble - I often ride that as it's more interesting and less crowded than the tramway.

Update on yesterday's incident: it was a stabbing according to the Lancashire Evening Post. A man attempted to murder his ex-girlfriend. Ugh. She is in hospital but should pull through. He's been arrested.

hi wiggy
Yep. It is rather vegetated in places but much better than the A6. Recently the council have completed another track over the old East Lancs railway line over the Ribble - I often ride that as it's more interesting and less crowded than the tramway.

Update on yesterday's incident: it was a stabbing according to the Lancashire Evening Post. A man attempted to murder his ex-girlfriend. Ugh. She is in hospital but should pull through. He's been arrested.

Bloody hell :wacko:

That route is lovely and yes it does split doesnt it, the one thats improved was a railway. As a little ride you can follow that all the was to Old Ken Mill in Whittle-le-woods, it gets a bit grotty at the end of the tramway just after Bamber Bridge FC when you have to cylce through an industrial estate but your soon into Cuerdan Valley and can follow that all the way to Whittle.

Er anyway :thumbsup:

Top Bottom