Police trap bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Are these a thing? There's been a bike chained up on a street near me for at least a month in an easy-to-see location with a useless looking lock. With the state of bike crime near me, I can't for the life of me understand why no one has nicked it or claimed it. It made me wonder if the police put it there and are keeping it under surveillance in an effort to catch bike thieves.
It is possibly a stolen bike, thieves don't like to be caught 'with the goods' so tend to leave them chained up somewhere until they flog em on.

mark st1

Plastic Manc
I don't know

I quite liked that Sky programme a few years back (SWAG I think it was called) where they would leave a bike unattended, that would fall apart when someone tried to ride it.

Sounds more like bike servicing at Halfords

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Durham Police left a bike with a tracker around Durham City a few years ago.

The copper in charge of the operation told me the bike was stolen and recovered six or seven times, including from the back of a panel van a few miles away.

The cops were quite impressed with that because they weren't expecting the tracker to have such a good range.

classic33

Leg End Member
I find it ironic that they have resources for something like this, but none for a hit and run road rage incident. That’s typical of this country.
Just as sad is the fact that often they'll use bikes from the store. They were once someone's pride and joy.

Top Bottom