Police

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Gax - they're paid to do what they do - and most of them are pretty good at it. But, then again, they don't have to deal with traffic, pedestrians, parked cars and all kinds of interesting road junctions.......

I'm not trying to make it a capital offence - but it is silly.

Doseone

Guru
....Tried to explain that they can't do me for speeding....

Is that really right? I didn't know that. I always assumed the speed limit applied to bikes as well.

jay clock

Massive member
This is a "grey area"

The point is adequate control, and a number of drivers have been done for eating, drinking, and other activities whilst driving.

However the definition is usally (IIRC) that an essential movement such as to take one hand from the steering (handlebar/ wheel0 to change the gears or signal is reasonable and required.

Eating, drinking, changing cassettes etc isn't and therefore can be penalised

Changing cassettes? I find changing a cassette means I need the wheel off first.....

I got pulled on Friday for speeding; 42 in a 30 coming down into Leeds from Headingley, including overtaking 2 cars (one of them the police car that pulled me :becool: ).

Tried to explain that they can't do me for speeding. I ended up with a telling off.

42 mph downhill :eek:would be too dangerous for me......one little pothole:wacko:

siadwell

Guru
I saw a cyclist pulled over yesterday. Waiting in the car at a red light, an unmarked police car pulled up alongside. Chap on a Trek road bike went past us, then zigzagged about in front of us, trying to avoid the crossing traffic. Cue police car turning on blues and pulling alongside him to have a word.

One of the following drivers felt the need to have a word as well. However, that driver and the two behind him had failed to notice that the lights hadn't changed for us yet, so they'd just run a red light. Pity the copper didn't notice.

Sara_H

Guru
I really wish someone would publish a concise guide to what powers the police have when they stop or detain you.
A friend of a friend was accused (falsley) of theft recently, hung around for the police to come so the situation could be quickly cleared up and was dealt with abysmally by the police.
Seeing videos on youtube of police and PCSO's abusing their position makes me furious and worried about the future.

Scruffmonster

Über Member
I got stopped by a copper near Victoria station this morning. I'd just got off the train and was cycling slowly across an empty path to take a 20 yard shortcut to avoid the clusterfcuk of a junction at the top of the station so I could get to Evans Cycles. (The road is one way)

He stepped in front of me and shouted 'Stop'. I stopped. He shouted 'Stop' again. I'd already stopped and told him so. I then got told he was issuing me with a £30 fine for riding on the pavement. My response was to laugh. He didnt smile. I then got told that it was an offence. I still thought he was joking so unclipped and tried to walk off. He grabbed my handlebars and told me I wasn't going anywhere.

I got really angry then, told him if he wanted to issue a ticket he'd have to follow me to my office, and that while he follows me there he really needed to consider if giving a £30 ticket to a polite and compliant person for a complete non event was what he joined the force for.

I walked off, he didnt follow.

I know I shouldnt have been on the pavement, I know it carries a fine, but what goes through these peoples heads. If he'd have said 'Jump off your bike mate' I'd have done so. Why the drama...

Top Bottom