Police

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
All I can say about the videos you see is that they are a drop in the ocean compared to the number of encounters with police officers where upon a member of the public is treated fairly, politely and with dignity (even in the face of intense provocation)

This. I think in the vast majority of cases the police do a very difficult job very well. We really only hear about the "bad" cases, and I'm sure most of the police join us in condemning them. I'm pretty sure the culture of silence hardly exists any more.

Having said that, I think we need to remain vigilant that the police do not get extra powers (S44, thankfully now repealed) just because they or politicians ask for them.

siadwell

Guru
A PCSO who has NOT been designated the power to detain can arrest someone in the following circumstances.
They witness an indictable offence occur and know who did it
They KNOW an indictable offence has occurred and have reasonable grounds to suspect who did it.
To prevent a breach of the peace.
Which I believe is a power we all have: "citizen's arrest".

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable
I appreciate that, but I would say that, even in our own small (very law abiding family) family, we've had a couple of episodes of police officers abusing their powers, that coupled with stories you read about and see in the media make me very cynical about the police I'm afraid :sad:

Thats because you haven't met me yet.. ^_^

Cubist

Still wavin'
Is it against the law to provide your name?

So when you if you refuse do you mean in relation to something or in general?

I have a right not to give my name and details so can you clear this up?
Where you are suspected of committing an offence an officer can ask you to provide your name and address for the service of a summons, or to facilitate the issuing of a Fixed Penalty Notice. Certain bits of legislation are then worded to make it a further offence to fail to provide those details, and the Police and Criminal Evidence Act provides a power of arrest in order to establish your identity.

However, and this needs spelling out, there is no power of a constable to demand your details unless you have committed or are suspected of an offence.

A constable can stop you and ask you to account for your presence in certain circumstances (for example in an area where a crime or series of crimes has been committed) and must record that stop. However, you are not obliged to provide your details under these circumstances and the constable will merely note your description and submit the stop report.

Cubist

Still wavin'
I got stopped by a copper near Victoria station this morning. I'd just got off the train and was cycling slowly across an empty path to take a 20 yard shortcut to avoid the clusterfcuk of a junction at the top of the station so I could get to Evans Cycles. (The road is one way)

He stepped in front of me and shouted 'Stop'. I stopped. He shouted 'Stop' again. I'd already stopped and told him so. I then got told he was issuing me with a £30 fine for riding on the pavement. My response was to laugh. He didnt smile. I then got told that it was an offence. I still thought he was joking so unclipped and tried to walk off. He grabbed my handlebars and told me I wasn't going anywhere.

I got really angry then, told him if he wanted to issue a ticket he'd have to follow me to my office, and that while he follows me there he really needed to consider if giving a £30 ticket to a polite and compliant person for a complete non event was what he joined the force for.

I walked off, he didnt follow.

I know I shouldnt have been on the pavement, I know it carries a fine, but what goes through these peoples heads. If he'd have said 'Jump off your bike mate' I'd have done so. Why the drama...
Would you kindly write a list of offences where you would agree with enforcement? Perhaps you fancy indulging in a wee bit of shoplifting, or a light smattering of wife-beating?

Would you stand by and criticise an officer for stopping and reporting a motorist for speeding, or using a mobile phone perhaps? Or is it only you that deserves to be let off for choosing to break the laws that you consider to be inconsequential?

subaqua

What’s the point
th
PCSO - Police Constable Shaped Object :laugh:
there is a far more descriptive term , used by a significant amount of police. I have been slated for using it here before .

I enjoyed my time as a Special , and am glad i left when i did . again I have been slated on here because i used my time as a special to help in my full time career.

rusky

CC Addict
I have a friend who is a special, I admire people who volunteer to ease the burden on the paid officers but it seems there's sometimes a lack of training/awareness from pcso's.

Scruffmonster

Über Member
Would you kindly write a list of offences where you would agree with enforcement? Perhaps you fancy indulging in a wee bit of shoplifting, or a light smattering of wife-beating?

Would you stand by and criticise an officer for stopping and reporting a motorist for speeding, or using a mobile phone perhaps? Or is it only you that deserves to be let off for choosing to break the laws that you consider to be inconsequential?

Wife beating? In this same debate? Really? We ALL break laws, we break the speed limit, we stop in box junctions, attempt to buy alcohol or cigarettes underage, give someone a copy of a music album, any number of things.

Admittedly the original post was written in a fit of frustration, but my main bugbear was not the fact I got asked to adhere to the law, but the fact that the officer was overly officious. You may want them to, but I do not want my Police officers spending 30 minutes punishing 10 feet of 5mph pavement riding. A shake of the head and 'Not on the pavement mate, you should know better than that'. Informative, and enough to make someone feel a bit of a berk.

Top Bottom