Polish immigrants

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

walker

Rigid Raider said:
Every nation has its idiots.

A pal of mine is an orchid grower near Newent. For years he has had problems finding English people willing to do a day's work; often they would turn up from the Job Centre, work two days then not come back on the third, not even bothering to pick up their wages. They were bolshy, argumentative, often late, often off sick, often asking for an advance on Monday as they'd pissed all their wages up over the weekend - generally a nightmare.

Now he employs three Polish lads. They turn up every day on time. They don't moan or argue. They do an honest day's work, collect their money and tootle off happy. What more can you say?

Totally understand what your saying. But as I've said to others about immigration, if you move to a foreign country you feel like you have a point to prove and will work harder for teh money otherwise your on your arse.
In Australia they scream out for brit's especially brick layers and the likes as us brits out there will work all the hours god sends and the locals will do the bearest minimum they can get by in doing.
It's the same in all countries. I bet if a Pole was to go back home he/she would be taking it easy again and would'nt put in the production they do here. If it was the case I have'nt seen a Pole in the top 10 Richest list

yenrod

Rigid Raider said:
Every nation has its idiots.

A pal of mine is an orchid grower near Newent. For years he has had problems finding English people willing to do a day's work; often they would turn up from the Job Centre, work two days then not come back on the third, not even bothering to pick up their wages. They were bolshy, argumentative, often late, often off sick, often asking for an advance on Monday as they'd pissed all their wages up over the weekend - generally a nightmare.

Now he employs three Polish lads. They turn up every day on time. They don't moan or argue. They do an honest day's work, collect their money and tootle off happy. What more can you say?

Yeah Ridge' its called a big problem with the people and morals of this country - I wouldnt trust an english jobby as far as I could throw 'em !

Arch

Married to Night Train
walker said:
Where I work the Polish population has gone up to 10% out of a staff of 200. All seem nice enough, all women though, and not all of them pretty.

Is this remotely important? Like it matters? You only like having the pretty ones around?

Anyway I sold that flat because of them and now moving to Aus where hopefully I don't bump into the idiots

You're moving to Australia, and don't expect to bump into idiots? Good luck with that one...

I expect a lot of Poles write home about the idiots they meet here.

Arch

Married to Night Train
yenrod;212340][QUOTE=Arch said:
Is this remotely important? Like it matters? You only like having the pretty ones around?

Arch, would you be remotely bothered if HE was referring to men :biggrin:

Yes. I think judging people on their physical appearance is pretty shallow, male or female. I wouldn't dream of saying "hey I work with some Polish guys, but they're all ugly".

Get off your high horse. I happen to believe in equality and thoughtfulness both ways.

frog

As a child I was raised with a very nice Polish family next door. There were some very nice Polish girls down the road to make my adolesence quite enjoyable.

However, recent dealings are quite the opposite. The scumbag builder who built our conseravtory employed a pair and they made a right mess of the job. He disappeared off the planet and it cost £600 to make good the jobs they fouled up. Looking at what they did and the fixes that the blokes who knew what they were doing employed the word 'incompetent' barely covers it.

Last week,the sandwich van nearly killed me. The young Polish lad who was drivng was eyeing up a school girl at a bus stop and he nearly drove straight over the top of me. With a speed difference of over 40 mph I wouldn't have known what hit me. When I met him at work I explained to him what he'd done and all I got was a smile and a shrug. So I called his boss and explained to him.

Based on history they are very nice people. Based on recent events I'm revising that estimate downwards.

On reflection though I could say in their defence that the ones from my childhood had fled here from Poland as a result of WWII and were the children of the same. The more recent influx are a product of 40 years of Communisim.

domtyler

Über Member
We've managed to negotiate our cleaner down to £5 an hour :biggrin:
I think she is Russian though rather than Polish.

Maz

Guru
a few horror stories...doesnt make all poles the same.
most are conscientious hard-working.
my parents were immigrants to this country in the 60s, doing jobs the 'locals' felt was beneath them to do.
now it seems like e.europeans are doing these jobs.
its like a cycle.

Top Bottom