Polished steel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Doyleyburger

Veteran
Can anyone recommend me a product or method that will polish up steel really well ?

I am in the process of getting the paint stripped off an old steel frame and I'm thinking about leaving it with a polished finish. Obviously if it doesn't look right then I'll get it painted or powder coated.

upload_2015-3-2_21-13-33.jpeg

No substitute for it.
Depending on the finish it is now and what you want to achieve ever finer grades of emery cloth, followed by a wire wool and something like autosol. Or a componding machine and compound if you have access - I doubt it though or you wouldn't be asking here.

I'd think about the bare steel thing though. it may well look good, but it won't be for long as the surface will start to corrode quickly depending on what the steel composition is. Even the grease from your fingers will effect it. If you like the look I'd suggest some sort of clear coating to prevent it.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
I'm thinking about leaving it with a polished finish.
You'll need lacquer to prevent rusting, unless it's the super expensive stainless Reynolds 953.

Not sure how well lacquer will adhere without primer, but if you use primer you won't be able to see the polish.

An angle grinder or drill with a wire wheel will strip any paint pretty darn quick.

OP
OP
Doyleyburger

Doyleyburger

Veteran
Thanks everyone. Lacquer is what I was thinking as a protective coating. Hopefully by this time next week I'll have it all polished. My local yard is blasting the paint off for me so with any luck i can pick it up Friday and start working in that tub of elbow grease :tongue:

Top Bottom