Polishing alloy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

colly

Re member eR
Has anyone successfully polished up and old chainset?
I have an older Campag chainset which is undamaged but is looking kind of dull and scuffed.
Is there anyway I can polish it so that it comes back to something like new?
I've tried alloy polishes with very limited effect. I get a 'clean' looking finish and a dirty cloth but thats about it. It still looks like an old chainset.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
How long have you got....

I've successfully removed the anodising off an old Shimano 600 crankset and brought it back to polished alloy. Looks great. Took an age with 'scotch bright' and then t-cut. T-cut works well. On my MTB chainset, nothing will brighten it up - possibly down to the original finish.

robgul

Legendary Member
If you have a bench grinder - change the stone for a cloth mop and then, using "rouge" (a sort of solid block of grinding "paste") buff the item using the mop.

Simple and quick ..and the consistent motion means that you don't get any "circular scratches" you do with hand polishing with Scotchbrite pads or wet and dry paper. Finish off with a car chrome polish and rag. Downside of all this is that the shiny finish will go matt quite quickly ... a spray of clear lacquer (Halfords aerosol) works.

Rob

OP
OP
colly

colly

Re member eR
Thanks. :thumbsup:

I'll try some of those methods on some old calipers and see what results I get before I tackle the chainset.

Pity I don't have a bench grinder.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
t cut is not as strong as it use to be in fact try and get some cutting paste

sidevalve

Über Member
Fine wire wool with a little thin oil followed by the bench grinder with mop and polishing compound. If you aint got a grinder solvol will do but it will take a while.

U

User482

I've used caustic soda to remove anodising, then polished with autosol, followed by car wax. You have to repolish fairly often to maintain the finish, and I really can't be bothered!

sidevalve

Über Member
I've used caustic soda to remove anodising, then polished with autosol, followed by car wax. You have to repolish fairly often to maintain the finish, and I really can't be bothered!
Would work well but be carefull, caustic soda eats alloy for breakfast. Wash well after it's done it's work.
PS, once you've got the ally polished you could try using a clear lacquer to protect it.

Top Bottom