Polishing Chrome

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rh100

What's the best stuff to use to polish up chrome handlebars, seatpost and chainrings etc?

tyred

Legendary Member
Depends on what stage they're at. If they're basically clean with only light surface corrosion showing, Autosol or any other automotive chrome polish will do the trick, as will Brasso or Duraglitz.

If you've got big rusty scabs, then some fine steel wool (don't use sandpaper) before the metal polish. If the chrome is really rusty, there is a mild rhubarb based acid (the name escapes me at the moment) which you can leave the parts in overnight and you will be amazed at how clean they come out.

OP
OP
rh100

rh100

What do you do with the baking foil? I can see why coke - but would rather drink it ;)

tyred

Legendary Member
rh100 said:
What do you do with the baking foil? I can see why coke - but would rather drink it ;)

Crunch a sheet of tinfoil into a ball, dip in coke and polish the chrome with it. It can be a pretty effective method as well.

OP
OP
rh100

rh100

Probably the acid in the coke.

tyred

Legendary Member
Coke is actually an excellent cleaning solution for many things. It also makes excellent screenwash in your car to take traffic film off the windscreen.

I believe you can even drink it. Wonderful stuff.

gary r

Guru
BigSteev said:
Coke and baking foil. Seriously.

a bit of the topic but Mrs R had a load of silver bracelets that had tarnished badly,she cut up some stamp sized bits of silver foil added some baking soda and water and then dipped the silver items in,The smell it produced was awful (like stink bombs) the silver items came out looking like new.

tyred

Legendary Member
Fairy Liquid and stiff brush works well also. Just wash it off well afterwards as it contains salt.

Top Bottom