Polishing my bits - fnar fnar

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
wheres_my_beard

wheres_my_beard

Über Member
I assume that the shine will dull down a bit, but should hopefully come up nice with a buff or quick polish.

I am looking for more parts to polish now... :addict:

OP
OP
wheres_my_beard

wheres_my_beard

Über Member
I couldn't help but polish something else, so here's a shiny chain tug, after getting rid of the black finish it had. The yellow is the reflection of the cloth I had in my hand from buffing.

DSC01908.jpg

I suppose what I should do next is actually clean the rest of the bike, it's filthy!

OP
OP
wheres_my_beard

wheres_my_beard

Über Member
[drool]That needs to be much shinier![/drool]

Seriously though, I am so tempted to strip my frame and polish it but Mrs W_M_B bearly understands why I have done what I have already, and thinks I am having some kind of break-down/ crisis. Which may or may not be the case, either way it keeps my off the streets, and costs next to nothing to do.

I might start by refurbishing my drops, and see how things go from there.

dave72

Regular
i being polishing today after recieving a pair of campagnolo lambda v rim which had being stored for a long time just for you w-m-b
before
21l3c09.jpg

and after
inzo9k.jpg

dave72

Regular
i still one side of one wheel left to do but after 4 hours of rubbing down my fingers hurt, but they do look so much better then alloy corrosion and brake block damage. look like the person before had run the blocks right down and left grooves.
cheers dave

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Please put the chain on the right way up. Please.

rb58

Enigma
I have a polishing kit I use on the stainless steel bits of my car. Various mop heads, compounds etc. Always gets a fantastic shine.

I haven't tried it on any bike bits......... yet <disappears into shed>

OP
OP
wheres_my_beard

wheres_my_beard

Über Member
Looks great.

Do you have to keep polishing regularly to keep the shine, or do the bits tarnish over time ?

A bit of an update: I have found that the lever has kept its high shine, and feels really nice, due to regular rubbing from my gloves I suppoes, but the chainring has dulled down a little and has become a tiny bit pitted, probably due to loads of grit and shoot thrown up from the roads. It has responded well to a good abrasive and some more polishing though, but had dulled down now to a reflective but slightly cloudy finish.

Trickstar

Veteran
A bit of an update: I have found that the lever has kept its high shine, and feels really nice, due to regular rubbing from my gloves I suppoes, but the chainring has dulled down a little and has become a tiny bit pitted, probably due to loads of grit and s*** thrown up from the roads. It has responded well to a good abrasive and some more polishing though, but had dulled down now to a reflective but slightly cloudy finish.

Polished stuff is great for show but won't last two minutes once they start gritting the roads. Salt and polished alloy just don't mix.

DSCF4043_zps139d75e9.jpg

Top Bottom