Polishing rim surface

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have some nearly new wheels (less than 100 miles of use) that I hand built to operate a dynamo hub/lighting system. Sadly since I have been having major tyre rubbing issues with mudguards. I have decided to retire the front wheel. It's impossible to run my dynamo lights as they are not suitable for a bike without guards. The light will fail from road spray without running guards, therefore I'm putting the lights on another bike but the wheels are not suitable to transfer over, the other bike has disc brakes. I now want to sell on the wheel to recoup some of the cost (£58 hub, £40 rim plus £30 for spokes :whistle:).

The wheel itself is in great shape, true as the day I built it, no marks or dings, and built to manufacturers specification. However, having used the wheel set, they now have those tell-tale signs of use, black streaks that run on the rim wall, presumable a mix of road crud and brake pads. I want to spruce them up for sale. What's the best way to bring the shine out of these without damaging them/exposing them to chemicals that will affect braking? I want to make the wheel presentable for re-sale and don't want to give the buyer the impression they are past it, they're basically new.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Car alloy wheel cleaner. Wonder wheels is the best. Spray on, brush. Hey presto.

A wipe down with washing up liquid and a soft brush. Allow to dry then wipe off any residue with baby wipes and if you fancy shine them with a buff but don't use any Polish .

sight-pin

Veteran
Used Salvo Autosol on the alloy casing of my old motorbike many moons ago; polished them up like a mirror, not sure if it's suitable for bike wheels though?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Don't go polishing up brake surfaces.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
As above - washing up liquid and scourer to remove dirt.

Then to get them pristine, go over with WD40. Spray on cloth and wipe. It brings a nice sheen and removes water marks.

Top Bottom