Polishing rim surface

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RichardB

Slightly retro
Don't go polishing up brake surfaces.

No reason not to - it depends on what you polish it with. If you are using something like Autosol that leaves a clean, polished surface, that's excellent for braking - think how polished a car's discs are. But if you use something else ...

Then to get them pristine, go over with WD40. Spray on cloth and wipe. It brings a nice sheen and removes water marks.

And what do you use to get rid of the oily WD-40 residue? That's not great on a braking surface, to be fair.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I use isopropyl alcohol which is also used for disk brake cleaning
Once in a blue moon I do a deep clean of my bike, as opposed to a quick once over. I use Isopropyl Alcohol for rims and it makes them look spiffing. And then I go for a ride and cover them in crud again.

RichardB

Slightly retro
WD40 is not like PTFE sprays which have staying power. It's a mild lubricant but evaporates in time.
I once oversprayed some WD-40 onto a motorcycle brake disc by accident. Hardly any brakes at all afterwards. It cleaned off the disc with thinners OK, but ruined the pads. Personally, I wouldn't let WD-40 (or GT-85 or whatever) anywhere near a braking surface. It might evaporate over time, but what are you going to do for brakes until then?

Top Bottom