"POLITE" High Viz debate R4 Now

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DrLex

merely the moocher
It's not illegal on the grounds of impersonation because it says "Polite".. It could say "POLTIE" it doesn't matter. If that constitutes impersonation, I would be arresting women on Hen Nights every weekend in town!

Wonder if it would have a similar effect on other road users in Holland, given that the Dutch word is "Politie"?

It's not illegal on the grounds of impersonation because it says "Polite".. It could say "POLTIE" it doesn't matter. If that constitutes impersonation, I would be arresting women on Hen Nights every weekend in town!

I have a friend whose Girlfriend, (now wife) lived with him in Scotland

She used to get really upset when someone in a shop asked "Is that you, Hen?"

Apparently a Hen is a French colloquial expression for a lady of negotiable virtue.

Not that I am making any comments on whether a the average female on a Portsmouth Hen Night is or is not impersonating a lady of negotiable virtue

markharry66

Über Member
I wonder if you can get bespoke writing put on it I have had an idea I disagree with polite notice.

How about this small type "if you are close enough to be able to read this you are to close sod off".

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I wonder if you can get bespoke writing put on it I have had an idea I disagree with polite notice.

How about this small type "if you are close enough to be able to read this you are to close sod off".
Not a problem! ^_^
Just go to this website, and you can order jerseys with customised messages: http://www.sharethedamnroad.com/.
I ordered one a few years back, and it has the following printed on both sides, on 3 lines with 2 words per line: "MY TAXES PAY FOR THIS ROAD". Nobody's killed me for wearing it (yet). I found the jersey to be well-constructed and good quality, too.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I could wear one that says.. "I have a camera and I am a Cop now Move the F*CK over and give me room" :whistle:

Fixed for the cops in London

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Apparently a representative from ACPO has warned that they may be illegal, with no comment about why people think they are helpful to their safety.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
There's enough of these hi-vis jackets being worn that there is no shortage of people the police could charge so this guy's opinion could be tested in a court. The fact that no-one has yet been prosecuted suggests his opinion isn't shared by those who actually work the streets.

His view certainly isn't shared by ACPO's Lead of Mounted Policing, Commander Robert Broadhurst from the Metropolitan Police, who stated:

“Provided there is no deliberate attempt to impersonate Police there is very little we can do other than perhaps ask them to ensure the word looks more like polite than police. Assuming they have no items of police uniform it is unlikely the public will mistake them for us, but if they do it will just be another High Visibility Patrol which should add to the reassurance picture.”

GC

Canrider

Guru
but if they do it will just be another High Visibility Patrol which should add to the reassurance picture.
Love it. What a sensible perspective, recognising that people are dummm and will behave better just seeing something looking a bit like a police officer.

Today driving in, traffic was jamming on the brakes near the end of a dual-carriageway segment. As I got closer I saw a white van with high-vis striping across the bumper area. Passing it, a small sticker read 'Northern Gas Networks'. I betcha those slamming on the brakes thought it was a speed camera van...

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I betcha those slamming on the brakes thought it was a speed camera van...

Exactly. Will the officer who's warning horseriders also write to the many vehicle recovery companies using similar battenburg livery to that of the police, or the highways agencies? I think not.

GC