Polocini Winter Warmer - 30th Oct 2016

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Polocini

Polocini

Veteran
Hi, we've got just short of 300 signed up. I was happy with 100 and thought 150 would be decent as I don't really do any promotion but entries went mad last week. No idea why? Once it hits 300 I'll be closing entries. We will not be doing any entries on the day so don't email asking for one!

Thanks
AL

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Booked :okay:

Anyone else on here doing it?

...but entries went mad last week. No idea why?
Thanks
AL
:whistle: I'll be looking forward to my extra bacon butty on the morning........

Oldfentiger

Veteran
Weather looks about as good as you could hope for end October. 14 degrees, not much wind, no rain

I'll be riding my Btwin "stealth" bike and resplendent in Btwin top and shorts. Anyone riding who sees me be sure to say hello (or "are you sponsored by Decathlon or summat?")

I'll look out for you then. If it's dry I'll bring my Merida. Dunno what to wear yet - must be in touch with my feminine side :rolleyes:

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Quick heads up that a slight route change for tomorrow has been posted on the Polocini twitter

https://twitter.com/polocini/status/792438293216591872?lang=en

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Back home now and enjoying a well earned glass of Coke and a mince pie (I believe these are a recognised super post ride recovery food?). Bike is filthy, shoes are filthy and I am also plastered in it (Not sure what 'it' is but as we rode along mostly country lanes and past many farm yards I have a pretty solid suspicion that as well as being full of it I am now also benefiting from a good coating on the outside too! :laugh:

Nickyboy and his crew should just be enjoying the fantastic spicy hot Thai curry provided by the ride organiser and I have no idea where Kestevan and his delightful better half got to after I left them near the beginning to try and catch Nickyboy. I never did catch him despite my best efforts and it turns out he was behind me all along!

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Well that's the bike clean, now it's my turn.
Just remembered a mud related incident that happened during the ride. There was a section of road that had a proper layer of mud on it from a field or building site. This was real hard packed wet soil, not the usual watery slurry that covers most of the Cheshire lanes during the winter. The guy riding in front of me was riding along in a straight line, apparently doing nothing untoward, when his bike suddenly stated fishtailing violently. 3 times he changed direction, which must have been a bit of a shock for him as well as for the van that was trying to overtake at the time! He was all over the road but somehow, and much to my amazement, managed to stay on the bike and regain control. More luck than skill maybe but it surprised us all that saw it how he stayed on the bike. I was fully expecting him to take me down with him if he had hit the floor as I was right behind him.
Speaking to Al the organiser later he told me that 2 people had fallen off and retired but the re were no serious injuries needing hospital treatment and no bikes got hurt :rolleyes:

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Enjoyable ride. Snacks at halfway very moorish, particularly the sausage rolls. Alderley Edge at 47 ish and the lumps which followed, reminded me I had been cycling faster than usual. The Woodford centre was a welcome sight for my legs. Curry at the end very tasty.
Bike took ages to clean.^_^
Big thanks to the organiser. :okay:

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Back home, 150km including riding there and back.

Met Skolly at the start...but that was the last time I saw him. Kept seeing Kestervan; he was going at a full value pace and we kept getting punctures in our little group so we kept overtaking, then he would pass us when we were huddled over an innertube

As Skol mentioned, the road surfaces were a bit tricky. There's been hardly any rain recently so farm machinery deposits "stuff" on the roads and it doesn't get washed off. Last couple of days there has been fine drizzle...perfect for turning the "stuff" into a slippery top layer. I saw one guy nursing his wrist having come off on a muddy section

It's a £20 sportive but the food is what you'd expect at something more expensive. I had porridge and coffee at the start. The half way point had loads of cakes, brownies, flapjack. We were towards the rear I think due to punctures but there was still loads left. At the finish the curry was really tasty. I didn't have one of the Leffe beers as I still had an hour to ride home sadly

I'm now clean, bike will have to wait until it's light tomorrow

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Excellent ride at a more sedate pace than @I like Skol and @nickyboy - although the puncture fairy did seem to have it in for hus group....

Picked up @Oldfentiger at the start and kept him company/held him up depending on point of view...

Back home now and writing this whilst laid in a warm bath whilst drinking cold beer.......

Somehow I appear to have gained a fetching pair of "mud" coloured legs...Although I suspect not 100 mud.

Mrs Kes did her usual trick of riding slowly and complaining of being sore until the hills started... then setting about trying to break everyone in the last 10 miles...probably smelled the delicious curry.

Bikes are filthy, but will have to wait till tomorrow.

Top Bottom