Polystyrene filled rucksack?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

blazed

220lb+
I usually always cycle with a rucksack with things I need for the ride inside. I wondering when out earlier whether a rucksack filled with blocks of polystyrene would be beneficial for the back in cases of being hit from behind? Similar to how the polystyrene in helmets make the chances of head injury far less. What do you guys think?

I've been hit from behind twice (it's kind of "my thing") and in neither case did the vehicle come near to hitting my body, as luckily my back wheel was in the way.

Most likely you'd be flung forward, so you better wear that backpack in front of your chest. That's got to be safe!

I was talking to the Michelin man the other day about this very subject.

^_^

michelin cyclist.jpg

I usually always cycle with a rucksack with things I need for the ride inside. I wondering when out earlier whether a rucksack filled with blocks of polystyrene would be beneficial for the back in cases of being hit from behind? Similar to how the polystyrene in helmets make the chances of head injury far less. What do you guys think?

If you think some polystyrene will protect you from a tonne (or far more) of metal hitting you at 30 mph (or far more), then by all means carry a rucksack full of the stuff.

Ern1e

Über Member
I would think not because should you land on the bonnet of the vehicle you may do more damage to your spine bending over the blocks ? Quite a few years back I was hit from behind whilst turning right on a motorcycle ( I was stationary) and I ended up on my back on the bonnet fortunatly only a bruise behind a knee, if I had used a backpack I fear to think what may have happened !

Get a recumbent trike and you will solve both problems.

No speed or filtering compromise, lower and with a frame to protect you

Win-win

Brandane

Legendary Member
If you really must wear back protection, get one of these.
Be warned that they are quite heavy and cumbersome. There is a reason why they were designed with motorbikes in mind.
You might want to go the whole hog and get leathers too, in case you fall off. Oh, and a proper motorcycle helmet which might actually "make the chances of head injury far less".
Perhaps you should consider something with exploding airbags which go off when something hits you. Now let me think...........

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Why not go the whole hog and encase your bike with a metal frame. While you're at it, you should increase the number of wheels from 2 to 4 to improve stability.......hang on, this has been done hasn't it?

Top Bottom