Pompous gits

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Big Nick

I get a 50-50 response

I actually find it funny the strange looks some give you for saying hello as if you've just called them a tw@ !!!!

I think to some to speak and say hello would interrupt their Olympic training regimes

It's not that, marz, it's the implication that such cyclists should be so singularly focused on their training that they aren't concentrating properly on things around them to such an extent that they are oblivious to anything other their intent to train as fast and hard as physically possible, at that moment, and that this then justifies why they aren't able to interact or communicate with others....

How far are training cyclists prepared to take this attitude about their speed, stage timing and funnel vision? ... does it circumvent the requirement to indicate for turns, slow for possible hazards ahead, look around them, make allowance for others in their way, or, god forbid, give way, stop or slow down. I appreciate that this is patently nonsense for the majority but where do training cyclists sit on this scale of nonsense?

I don't know about other riders, but for me, I'm do push it a bit on the nonsense scale. I'm riding legally with appropriate indications and adherence to the rules of the road, but maybe not riding that smart. Trusting maybe a bit too much that peds, cars and other road users aren't going to make some sudden change in direction. I had a guy a few years back pull out in front of me. I'm pretty sure he saw me, I know I saw him, but he probably didn't expect me to be going almost 30mph and wham! I did scrub off a lot of speed, maybe only hitting the guy at 10mph, still a shock to him as I hit the back of his van.

So in addition to all the training focus, you also have to be cognizant that you are riding outside normal expectations of a cyclist on the street and be prepared to react when someone under estimates closing speed. And therefore even less likely to respond to salutations from another cyclist. I've seen you, I've probably checked you off as not something I'm likely to hit and moved on to the next potential obstruction on the road.

I've been so focused sometimes that I've even missed friends calling out to me on the road. Only realizing a mile or two down the road that I just blanked someone I know. I've turned around a couple of times to go say hi (after the interval or segment of training is done).

Top Bottom