Pond chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milzy

Guru
Two things I must address soon. I’ve got blanket weed forming, I think it came in from a lily I bought from eBay.
Also the aquatic soil from plants seems to be making the water cloudy. I guess fish dig for food.
So I need a good blanket weed control method and a tablet/solution to clear the water.
Any recommendations?
:smile:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Don't buy stuff from Lilly.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Two things I must address soon. I’ve got blanket weed forming, I think it came in from a lily I bought from eBay.
Also the aquatic soil from plants seems to be making the water cloudy. I guess fish dig for food.
So I need a good blanket weed control method and a tablet/solution to clear the water.
Any recommendations?
:smile:

Whilst I have bought blanket weed killer I've been reluctant to use it in case it messes up the water chemistry to the detriment of
the fish or even if the chemical is OK, the rotting slime harms the fish.
This far I have simply pulled handfuls
of slime out, which has the advantage of also removing the nitrates and what have you that have been used to make the plant itself. Water lillies help as they steal sunlight from the slime-weed.

Anyhow I've lost a fish today so even more reluctant to upset the applecart with herbicides but don't want to lose more by innaction

figbat

Slippery scientist
With patience blanket weed just disappears all by itself. As for fish digging - don't use soil type stuff. Just plant into gravel and the plants will find stuff to feed on from around and about. It is quite surprising.

This. Our pond would bloom various weeds and algae when interfered with but left alone it would soon sort itself out. It had a constant waterfall feature (with a UV filtration system) and loads of goldfish (plus other pond life like frogs/toads, newts, various larvae and the occasional heron).

T4tomo

Legendary Member
is the pond in the sun? if so that wont help, plant a tree / garden umbrella etc to give it some shade, and get more lilies, but not planted in soil.

don't top it up with tap water, use rain water from a water butt.

remove existing blanket weed algae with a rake

do you a UV filtration / aeration system running on it?

Top Bottom