Pond life idiot bus lane story

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bad Company

Very Old Person
I was riding along the Thames path near Hampton Court a few weeks ago. A walker complained that it was a footpath. It’s also a cycle route.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
The posts so far just go to confirm my opinion of the implementation of "bus" lanes. There are far too many "local" rules and exceptions.

I live near Newcastle-upon-Tyne and the "rules" not differ between there and next door Gateshead. So, cross one of the bridges over the Tyne and new rules apply. To me, this simply makes an unnecessary layer of complexity, it is bad enough for "locals", but, how are occasional visitors supposed to remember all of these variations.

No doubt this idiocy is repeated throughout the country.

Before anyone says "read the signs", I would say, even if the drivers (of whom I am one, when not riding my bicycle or motorcycle), are obeying the speed limit(s), I would rather they were watching the traffic, than watching out for small signs on lamp-posts every few meters / yards, just in case the "bus lane" rules have changed, either in overnight, or, in the space of few meters / yards.

I am not against "rules", they are necessary if we are all to get where we want to be safely and smoothly, but, please, make them as simple as possible and consistent.

Ajax Bay

Guru
There are far too many "local" rules and exceptions.
Aren't you overthinking this?
Driving a motor vehicle, start off by staying out of the bus lane unless you can see a sign which indicates that (for the time of day you're driving) you're allowed in it. Other cars undertaking you in it might be a clue. And if other classes of traffic are breaking the rules (eg taxis, mini-buses, minicabs) does it matter much? Not really.
Cycle in the bus lane, adopting a position in the road as you normally would. If a bus comes up behind, either they'll be able to overtake, or they won't, and will stay behind you till they have to stop (eg at a stop). What can be a tad annoying is if the bus goes past and then grinds to a stop and you, the cyclist, has to slow or even stop, pending a safe moment to leave the bus lane into the main traffic lane/stream, to overtake yourself.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Aren't you overthinking this?
Driving a motor vehicle, start off by staying out of the bus lane unless you can see a sign which indicates that (for the time of day you're driving) you're allowed in it. Other cars undertaking you in it might be a clue. And if other classes of traffic are breaking the rules (eg taxis, mini-buses, minicabs) does it matter much? Not really.
Cycle in the bus lane, adopting a position in the road as you normally would. If a bus comes up behind, either they'll be able to overtake, or they won't, and will stay behind you till they have to stop (eg at a stop). What can be a tad annoying is if the bus goes past and then grinds to a stop and you, the cyclist, has to slow or even stop, pending a safe moment to leave the bus lane into the main traffic lane/stream, to overtake yourself.

When driving in an unfamiliar area, you have described my technique more or less exactly.

But, as I said, would it not be preferable to have consistent rules.

Consider the chaos if certain towns/cities decided to drive on the right, instead of the left, or, indeed, to change from left/right at various time of day, or days of the week.

All I was suggesting was a degree of consistency.

vickster

Legendary Member
I was riding along the Thames path near Hampton Court a few weeks ago. A walker complained that it was a footpath. It’s also a cycle route.
It is a shared path and pedestrians have priority (have a feeling that there is a sign to that effect at least entering the gravelly bit). So the onus is on the cyclist, you, to be considerate, take care and slow down :smile:

I get more frustrated along there by other cyclists coming the other way who don't keep left or string themselves all the way across the path!

Last edited:

Nonethewiser

Pontefract isn't big enough to warrant bus lanes so it isn't a problem around here. Being a small town boy I dislike driving in big cities let alone cycling through one. I don't drive in Leeds very often but every time I go in there I seem to come out a different way :wacko:

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Bristol is full of drivers who don't really understand bus lanes, even the ones in red with 'BUS LANE' in 6ft letters painted on them. They're usually confused by signs telling them when they are in operation. They seem to be particularly confused by '24 hours'. They like to write ranty letters to the local Trinity mirror-owned rag.

On my commute, there is a road that's now one way with a nice wide segregated cycle path on it. It has two nice No Entry signs at the start. I see a lot of confused drivers trying to get down it thinking it's a short cut and having to U-turn.

Top Bottom