poor bird...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

buggi

Bird Saviour
Driving along in my car yesterday i saw an injured wood pigeon, his wing all limp, so i lept out my car (parked it first obviously), and managed to catch him. It looked like a broken wing :unsure: but he was still able to flap quite strongly, but there was a lot of blood, it went down my shirt, so i knew it was bad. so i took him home and put in a box for the night with some seed and water and a towel to lie on, and then took him to the vets today. i took him to the "bird vet" as i thought, if anyone can fix him, that would be the best person. But unfortunately, because the break was an open break he said there was nothing he could do as infection would have set in already, so they put him to sleep.

Poor thing. :cry: but at least he had a comfy night and a better death i suppose.

Some things are beyond even the bird saviour :sad:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Well at least you administered the right tweetment.

Globalti

Legendary Member
When I lived in Spain we found a gull with a broken wing in the marshes of the Rio Tinto estuary. I put it in the bottom of my kayak where it pecked my cojones and we kept it in the cupboard in my room in the Halls. We tried splinting its wing but it was obviously a waste of time. All it did was eat lots of tinned sardines and shoot all over the floor so we gave it to somebody who kind of "dealt" with it.

OP
OP
buggi

buggi

Bird Saviour
Yes, but i don't know how to do it properly, so i'm not going to because then it would have a bad death. best to give it to the vet for a wiff of gas. it was ok in the box overnight. seemed quite happy actually.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Mind you, there's a family of crows going hungry tonight...

taxing

[QUOTE 1139857"]
I found a bird like that once. Driving over it is the best way of putting it out of its misery.
[/quote]

:ohmy: What if you missed?!

My stepdad would have killed it, as a kid we used to keep rats as pets and when one broke its back he killed it by throwing it hard against a brick wall. Apparently it's the humane thing to do. He's very nice to animals and when we got mice in the house (unwanted) he made some humane traps and released them in a field somewhere, so he's not just a nutter with a grudge against rodents.

DavieB

MIA
:ohmy: What if you missed?!
. Apparently it's the humane thing to do. He's very nice to animals and when we got mice in the house (unwanted) he made some humane traps and released them in a field somewhere, so he's not just a nutter with a grudge against rodents.

Id imagine that post could result in some spicy replies in here :tongue:

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Reminds me slightly of my Dad who stood on one of our pet gerbils once when we were young. Poor thing, he didn't kill it outright and it had a rather painful death.
I don't think he could bring himself to put it out of it's misery (admittedly because we were all there watching/getting upset at the time), so it passed away miserably in a small bloody heap instead.

It's the only time in my life that I have ever seen a small rodent have a nose bleed (well, ok, not technically true, but almost).

Oh yes, and then there was the time when my big brother ran over and killed a seagull, and just left it in the middle of the road. It wouldn't have been so bad, but it was on OUR road, so everyone saw it.

He didn't even do anything about it, it was there for bloody days, the stupid B*stard! (Don't feel bad for him. That is what he's called Cyclists who want better cycle lanes/tracks before, and to my face too <There is a cycle path on his way to work, and he can't understand why people don't want to use it, with it's sub standard, wheel bending surface>. Oh yes, and then he was having a go at people who wear cycling tops the other day, because, and get this, they clearly AREN'T professionals! :rolleyes::wacko::wacko:
He'd better not see me with my AG2R jacket then, the berk! <I liked the colours of it you see>.:blush:

He's very intelligent <although I clearly do have to wonder sometimes>, but he's not the most imaginative of chaps at the best of times, which can be surprisingly frustrating).

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
Yes, but i don't know how to do it properly, so i'm not going to because then it would have a bad death. best to give it to the vet for a wiff of gas. it was ok in the box overnight. seemed quite happy actually.

Hold the shoulders firmly in one hand, hold the head in the other. Then the following three things very fast, hard and all at the same time: Lift the chin right back, pull the head and body apart and twist sharply. It will die instantly. Not nice, quite upsetting, but it's quick.

Hold the shoulders firmly in one hand, hold the head in the other. Then the following three things very fast, hard and all at the same time: Lift the chin right back, pull the head and body apart and twist sharply. It will die instantly. Not nice, quite upsetting, but it's quick.
With all respect, and I'm sure this is the correct method (I've seen it done at first hand, though I never did it myself): I'd advise not trying this unless you've actually been shown how to in real life by an expert. Written instructions are all very well but not the same.

Generally, it sounds harsh, but it's best to leave an injured wild animal. It soon wears itself out struggling against its injuries, goes into a sort of torpor and passes away relatively peacefully. Or a predator like a fox will come along and finish it off quickly. Remember also that roadkill is a valuable food source for many other creatures.

Top Bottom