poor shifting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DRM

Guru
If it's internal cable routing he may have needed to move/jiggle one in order to successfully get the other one in, perhaps where it's a bit tight round the BB

OP
OP
P

paxterg

Veteran
Yeah that’s what I thought, all shifting well now anyways

OP
OP
P

paxterg

Veteran
Ok, cable changed, gears are shifting but just not as sweetly as I would like. Have adjusted the barrel adjuster to compensate for a wee bit of stretching. Might the problem be my cassette? It’s 2 1/2 years old, at least 6000 miles on it I’m guessing. The chain is OK

raggydoll

Über Member
Ok, cable changed, gears are shifting but just not as sweetly as I would like. Have adjusted the barrel adjuster to compensate for a wee bit of stretching. Might the problem be my cassette? It’s 2 1/2 years old, at least 6000 miles on it I’m guessing. The chain is OK

Has the chain been changed in those 2 1/2 years?

If the cassette has done 6000 miles then it may well need replaced (but depends how often you've changed chains amongst other things).

How long has your current chain been on?

If it's been on a while and your cassette is worn then your chain may be a bit worn too.

If so, may be worth putting a new chain and cassette on at same time.

Otherwise the chain may prematurely wear your new cassette.

Depends on how old the current chain is I guess.

OP
OP
P

paxterg

Veteran
The chain was replaced about a year ago, the old chain was badly worn to be honest. The new chain probably has 2000 miles on it at least. The teeth on some of the cassette rings are not uniform, some sharper / pointy - er than others, nothing too extreme though. No teeth are rounded off! I think I will replace the cassette and chain together. The thing I liked about this Dura Ace shifting was how clean and precise it was and I am just not getting this at the minute, Its adequate but my OCD wants it more precise!

raggydoll

Über Member
Still pricey enough.
My road bike is 8 speed so cassettes are about £20!

If you're using better components then I would be inclined to stick a new chain on at same time to start afresh.
Keep the current chain though as a spare.

Ajax Bay

Guru
A new chain (OP has checked it with a 'chain checker') does not wear an old cassette. But 6000 miles with one new chain means it will be well worn. You need to test this by getting out, large ring and middle sprocket and then put some power down up a gentle hill, anticipating a slip (you have not described this symptom so far). If it slips (try it on several of the sprockets) then replace both cassette and chain. If it doesn't, ride on, till it does.
In the future, you may find it economic to change the chain every 1500 miles and thus minimise the wear on an expensive 11sp cassette. You have got good distance out of the current one.

OP
OP
P

paxterg

Veteran
£114 quid for cassette and chain from CRC, pricey enough but I did get a few miles out of the old chain/cassette. I'm guilty of riding on til it goes wrong when really it would be better to replace the chain every 1500 or so!

raggydoll

Über Member
Big price difference between the ultegra cassette and the 105 cassette.

Is the only real difference the weight or is there more to it?

Top Bottom