poor shifting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paxterg

Veteran
poor shifting on my dura ace 9100, wont go into top or bottom, then sporadically works. Thought of changing the cable first, then the cassette. Both have been running for a couple of years, the chain was replaced last year.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Cable tension or maybe sticky outer. Get a new cable, you're probably due one, give it a little grease and start from scratch. Loads of videos on YouTube.

OP
OP
P

paxterg

Veteran
Cables are 2 and a half years old, shifting has been immaculate but has gotten progressively worse. Will stick a new inner and outer on

Broadside

Guru
It’s quite common for the inner to fray inside the shifter, it’s happened to me a number of times over the years. The first sign is usually sloppy shifting, not being able to get the smallest sprocket and delayed or hesitant shifting. Peel back the shifter hood and you may see it has frayed, eventually it will snap fully.

BianchiVirgin

Über Member
Sounds like a worn chain and that WILL affect shifting. Check it for length. Its not the age that matters but the distance its covered.

raggydoll

Über Member
Check cable (mine snapped yesterday!)

Cable could have stretched over time and may even be fraying inside the shifter or elsewhere.
Mine broke inside the shifter.

Was stuck in the small cog to roll home in.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Sounds like a worn chain and that WILL affect shifting. Check it for length.
Cobblers!
The OP's symptoms are those of a gear cable and its outer which need changing. A worn (elongated) chain will not create the symptoms described in the OP - of course this doesn't mean the chain isn't elongated. But I note the OP has measured their chain and it's not.
An elongated chain will eventually 'slip' on the most used 'worn' sprockets under higher than normal power, eg up a gentle hill.

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
....and you'd save yourself a few bob. Mind you you'd need a few tools including a cable cutter so if you're not doing this stuff on a regular basis best leave it to your LBS.

raggydoll

Über Member
Check the cable already on the bike first.
MIght be fine.
If it is, maybe just needs indexed slightly (barrel adjusters adjust cable slightly to get it right).

Also check the end stop screws (they stop the mech from travelling too far in or too far out).

If the cable is frayed etc then a new inner would do the trick.

You could get a set of cable cutters for relatively cheap and even just do the inner cables.

I've just replaced 2 inner cables using the original outers and shifting is absolutely fine.

Inner cables are cheap (I got mine for about 50p each)

Bare minimum you'd need:
Cable cutters
Inner cable
End caps (stops cable fraying when cut).

Check you tube for videos etc. If you feel confident, then go for it.

hatler

Guru
Bear in mind that if the inner cable does break in the shifter the job possibly becomes an order of magnitude more complex and fiddly (and therefore expensive if you're subbing the work out to the LBS).

raggydoll

Über Member
Bear in mind that if the inner cable does break in the shifter the job possibly becomes an order of magnitude more complex and fiddly (and therefore expensive if you're subbing the work out to the LBS).
Most of my shifters are trigger shifters so easy to open up and take out any broken remnants.

I would guess that drop bar levers would be more complex to get a broken cable out of though?

Top Bottom