porridge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Colin B

When I was a kid porridge was made over a long time and to eat it in the morning meant my mother rising well before us so it would be ready , but these days they do a microwave version that's don't in the time it takes to make a cuppa .
Now I'm back in the saddle I decided I need to eat breakfast before heading out and I'll be honest life's stopped me doing this for many years . So I know porridge is good energy food and slow releasing but what I don't know is , is microwave porridge as good as the stove top equivalent

vickster

Legendary Member
Buy proper oats and cook in the microwave, exactly the same. Don't buy that oats so simple rubbish and especially none of the sweetened instant stuff. Far cheaper too
4 and a half minutes, stir half way through, eat from same bowl so no pan to clean, stuff is like glue though so fill bowl with soapy water ASAP and allow to soak! I mix half skimmed milk, half water, but can add fruit, honey if prefer sweet

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I doubt the cooking process makes any difference, but as @vickster says, the oats packaged as microwaveable probably aren't the best.

I use ordinary packet porridge cooked in the microwave in water - tastes a bit like licking stamps, but I like it.

The best oats I've found are from Lidl, although they are called something in German.

tug benson

Survived the Tour O the borders 2013
I use the Oats so simple..i usually mix a golden syrup flavour with one other, i mix it with any one except the original flavour..sometimes i`ll add a wee bit honey to them

Ernie_RBR

Microwave does the trick for me it's quick and easy, you can even buy it in small pots in different flavours which you just add hot water from a kettle ..

vickster

Legendary Member
Microwave does the trick for me it's quick and easy, you can even buy it in small pots in different flavours which you just add hot water from a kettle ..
A kilo of oats costs about £1.50 or less, lasts a couple of weeks at least...how much are the pots?

vickster

Legendary Member
See how it cooks. I don't like Scott's, too much husk. Used to be Quaker but they changed it and the vits went up. Now buy tesco or coop

Top Bottom