porridge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
half a cup oats, half cup water, half cup milk....microwave..with no fancy stuff thrown in...
basic, simple the way they were meant to be eaten...

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I got to start eating porridge again, waiting till i have seen the doctor next week about my blood test for IBS/ wheat /lactose intolerance before i decide whether to or not.
I just bung some in a bowl , mix with milk and nuke for 2 minutes then add dried fruit.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I mix all bar the apple before going to bed.

This really makes the difference- the soaking overnight bit. I do mine with just water tho'.

This is mainly because I always seem to run out of milk at 9:55 pm and I can't be arsed to do the dash to the Stop 'n Shop to buy more.

zizou

Veteran
While on the subject of microwaving porridge

How do you stop it exploding everywhere? Doesnt matter if i use the microwave sachet stuff or the regular oats its always the same, after about 90 seconds i need to keep pausing the microwave to stir it a bit and stop it going everywhere!

burndust

Parts unknown...baby
If you can get them look at whites oats...there jumbo oats so have more texture and flavour than the wallpaper paste that is oats so simple...i have mine with a scoop of choc orange protein powder

burndust

Parts unknown...baby

How do you stop it exploding everywhere? Doesnt matter if i use the microwave sachet stuff or the regular oats its always the same, after about 90 seconds i need to keep pausing the microwave to stir it a bit and stop it going everywhere!
60 seconds stir 60 seconds

Julia9054

Guru
Porridge made slowly by my mum is the best.
However, I eat mine at work (if I eat at 6.30am and then cycle I feel sick!)
I can't take my mum to work so those Oats So Simple pots will do. Plus the only cooking equipment we have is a kettle.

vickster

Legendary Member

Bigger bowl or put a plate over the top. I suffer this but it's completely hit and miss, some days fine, other days not....must be something to do with exact positioning in the microwave!

And to the above....full fat milk yeuch! Would be all creamy, bleurgh for breakfast

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Porridge made slowly by my mum is the best.
However, I eat mine at work (if I eat at 6.30am and then cycle I feel sick!)
I can't take my mum to work so those Oats So Simple pots will do. Plus the only cooking equipment we have is a kettle.
Get up earlier :blush:, i am out the door at 5.45 am on days .

format

Über Member

Just boil the kettle, mix the boiled water in, then cover with a lid or with cling film. Wait for 3-4 mins, then done.

I like to add peanut butter and chopped bananas to mine, too.

tug benson

Survived the Tour O the borders 2013

I usually put in the the microwave for 120 seconds, give it a good mix then put it back in for a minute or so..I usually add more milk at the end and give it all a good mix

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I'm really not keen on porridge but I am trying to like it!

When my wife wakes up to go toil the suburban fields I put half a cup of oats with three cups of water in a pan on low heat and make her a cuppa. By the time she ambles downstairs her porridge is ready and she loves it (so does my daughter). That just leaves me to wash up the pan once she's gone to work, which usually involves the type of equipment used to remove barnacles from the bottom of oil tankers, my god they should using it as grouting on the tiles they coat the space shuttle with.

RedRider

Pulling through
Two types of oats in the house..the posh ones which still have husks on and need five minutes in a pan with plenty of stirring. I've only just got the taste for making them with water and a pinch of salt. Often stick a banana in for sugar or sliced apple to make it taste like apple pie.
As the weather's got warmer i turn to the cheapo co-op ones, Rolled oats , not husky, I have these most mornings with cold milk and a banana. This year is the first year I've trained myself to eat breakfast before leaving the house. Prior to that I'd get the Gregg's - just add boiling water - for elevenses.

Top Bottom