porridge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
While on the subject of microwaving porridge

How do you stop it exploding everywhere? Doesnt matter if i use the microwave sachet stuff or the regular oats its always the same, after about 90 seconds i need to keep pausing the microwave to stir it a bit and stop it going everywhere!
Use a big plastic bowl, about 10 inches diameter and five inches tall. Put in 40g of Scotts oats and 270g of skimmed milk. Microwave on high power for 3.5 minutes. No need to cover the bowl or stir the stuff at any stage. Completely bomb-proof.

If you use a shallow Pyrex bowl, you are going to regret it.

doog

Porridge just weighs in my stomach for ages, given it a decent go but didnt notice any major benefit on long rides so have gone back to branflakes and peanut butter on toast.

U

User33236

What's all this about sweet porridge with syrup, honey etc? Only thing that should be added to porridge is some salt! ^_^

Brightski

Chronos Racing Team
When I was a kid porridge was made over a long time and to eat it in the morning meant my mother rising well before us so it would be ready , but these days they do a microwave version that's don't in the time it takes to make a cuppa .
Now I'm back in the saddle I decided I need to eat breakfast before heading out and I'll be honest life's stopped me doing this for many years . So I know porridge is good energy food and slow releasing but what I don't know is , is microwave porridge as good as the stove top equivalent
Think I'm one of the few cyclists that doesn't like porridge, I've tried and tried but can't make myself like it..

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
3-bears-300x192.jpeg
[QUOTE 2989217, member: 259"]40g? I'd be starving by 9 o'clock![/QUOTE]

bigjim

Legendary Member
I get my oats from the local health shop. They have two types and both are better than what you get from the supermarket. My favourite is £2.20 a kilo, as natural as it can be.

I'm trying to get my head round how you need to microway it for 4 and a half minutes :laugh: I only need 2 minutes 40 seconds. Maybe you have bigger portions than me ( doubt it :blush: ) or our microway is more powerful.

I used to buy it from the health shop till I twigged its no different to the Asda stuff at half the price for a kilo.
I shred half an apple into it then add Soya milk. 2 minutes in the micro, stir after 1 minute. Done. Then I add grapes. strawberries, raisins if I have any and tuck in. Mmmmm...

OP
OP
Colin B

Colin B

Got so.e cracking recipes here that I'll be trying but for tomorrow its half full fat milk and water with yogurt raisins and some maple syrup .

Top Bottom