porridge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Colin B

Colin B

What do you all add to it to make it interesting . I just spotted real maple syrup in aldi so that's gonna be going in the basket raisins for sure make it even better

uclown2002

Guru
A squirt of golden syrup usually and occasionally jam.

vickster

Legendary Member
Nothing, myself, I don't like it sweet bad defeats the object of a low cal, low gi breakfast. Another splash of skimmed milk

shortone

standard oats here too,

50-60g of oats handful or two of sultanas 150ml semi skimmed milk and 150ml water. Micro for 31/2 min and you're good to go.

campagman

Guru
I use course (pinhead) oatmeal mixed 50/50 with meusli. I also add a chopped up Bramley apple and 50/50 milk/water. 3 mins in microwave. I mix all bar the apple before going to bed.

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
Standard oats made with semi skimmed milk. I'll add either jam, lemon curd, cinnamon, sugar depends what takes my fancy. How much of it do you guys eat ? I'll normally have around 80g and 300ml of milk.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Pan, 1 cup porage (or is it porridge? or garage/garridge, forage/forridge? Mysteries....), 1 cup milk, 1 cup water. Pinch of salt and whatever dried fruit I have to hand. I've been sticking a lot of dessicated coconut in recently. I haven't found the point where there's too much dessicated coconut yet. Cook slowly, lots of stirring, destination gloopy. Take it off the hob when hunger outwits patience. I've found that taking it orally works very well. But I'll consider other ideas if you've got them.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
Buy proper oats and cook in the microwave, exactly the same. Don't buy that oats so simple rubbish and especially none of the sweetened instant stuff. Far cheaper too
4 and a half minutes, stir half way through, eat from same bowl so no pan to clean, stuff is like glue though so fill bowl with soapy water ASAP and allow to soak! I mix half skimmed milk, half water, but can add fruit, honey if prefer sweet

I get my oats from the local health shop. They have two types and both are better than what you get from the supermarket. My favourite is £2.20 a kilo, as natural as it can be.

I'm trying to get my head round how you need to microway it for 4 and a half minutes :laugh: I only need 2 minutes 40 seconds. Maybe you have bigger portions than me ( doubt it :blush: ) or our microway is more powerful.

vickster

Legendary Member
What it says on the packet and I like it well cooked. I do have quite a lot as well

Ian A

Über Member
Porridge :wahhey:

Nothing, myself, I don't like it sweet bad defeats the object of a low cal, low gi breakfast. Another splash of skimmed milk

Full fat milk would be lower GI and slower energy release ;). You'd be having considerably more calories for the same portion size of course. Sorry can't help myself. Not meaning to troll your post and completely agree adding syrup and/or other sugary foods can be a big leap in glycemic load and is unnecessary from a fueling point of view:hugs:. Ruins the taste IMO too although some people don't like plain porridge

For me its porridge made with full fat grass fed organic milk and whole rolled oats if I'm planning being out on the bike a long time (over three hours). A dairy free option I've been using (if that's your thing) is oatmeal soaked overnight in nut based milk with some berries in or dried fruit if I'm planning on starting unusually hard. If I'm out for less than that on a Saturday or Sunday morning ride then a bit of water pre-ride with a small amount of fruit and nuts for the a couple of hours in and "breakfast" is when I get back. I tend to go out pretty early and enjoy a porridge when I get back :hungry:. On the days I commute on the bike (not far) and then exercise at lunchtime with no meal in between I may have a small oatmeal soaked overnight or a small porridge.

Last edited:

thefollen

Veteran
I bring my own oats (Scott's or Quaker) in a tupperware each morning, add some boiling water, stir and leave for a couple of minutes to thicken. Works great. Often add mixed fruit, nuts and seeds. Normally chase with a slice of peanut butter toast. Lovely!

OP
OP
Colin B

Colin B

I bring my own oats (Scott's or Quaker) in a tupperware each morning, add some boiling water, stir and leave for a couple of minutes to thicken. Works great. Often add mixed fruit, nuts and seeds. Normally chase with a slice of peanut butter toast. Lovely!
Oh why did I not know about this stuff , just tried peanut butter on toast and that is very nice indeed . As for porridge I always use whole fat milk none of that semi skimmed stuff and water doesn't sound right to me

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Half cup raisins, half cup plus oats.Use one and half cups water, 5 min on the stove stirring. 5 min cooling. Serve with 3 tablespoons low fat unsweetened Greek style yoghurt.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Treat yourself to a bag of Sainsburys taste the difference whole rolled oats. My recipe is half a mug of oats, just less than a mug of boiling water and about a third of a mug of milk. A good pinch of salt, bring to the boil and then simmer, stirring constantly for about five minutes. I look for a virtually solid consistency, not runny. I then slice in a good ripe banana.the oats remain sweet and nutty, and the texture is sticky. The porridge should scrape cleanly out of the pan.

Top Bottom